Milton Keynes Canal, River and Lakes Walk
This long circular walk around Milton Keynes takes visits Caldecotte Lake, the River Ouzel, the Grand Union Canal, and Willen Lake. It's a great way of exploring the town on foot and visiting some of the most picturesque places. There's miles of good waterside footpaths and some lovely parkland to enjoy too.
Start the walk from the Caldecotte Lake car park where there's a miniature railway and trim trail. Follow the riverside trails north towards Simpson where you enter Ouzel Valley Park. Here you will find attractive plantations of Poplar Trees, lovely meadows and the remains of medieval villages with their associated fish ponds. Keep your eyes peeled for wildlife including woodpeckers, kingfisher and little grebe.
The paths eventually lead you to Willen Lake. There's nice footpaths here leading around the south and north lake. Features include a Peace Pagoda, a Buddhist Temple, Japanese gardens and bird hides where you can look out for the wading birds which visit the lake.
At Newlands you can follow a footpath to the Grand Union Canal in Campbell Park. Pick up the towpath and head south and you will return to Caldecotte Lake.
Milton Keynes Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Milton Keynes Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Milton Keynes OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Milton Keynes Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Other Walks around Milton Keynes
- Emberton Country Park - Enjoy 200 acres of parkland and lakes in Milton Keynes on this short circular walk
- North Bucks Way - This long distance walk through Buckinghamshire visits a number of pretty villages and takes you though the beautiful countryside of the Vale of Aylesbury
- Milton Keynes Boundary Walk - Enjoy rivers, canals, woodland and beautiful countryside on this walk around the boundary of Milton Keynes
- Linford Lakes - Enjoy a cycle or walk via country lanes around the pretty Linford Lakes area in the Ouse Valley, Milton Keynes
- Furzton Lake - Enjoy a short cycle or walk around this pretty lake in Milton Keynes
- Grafton Way - Follow the Grafton Way from Wolverton, Milton Keynes to Greens Norton in Northamptonshire
- Willen Lake - Willen Lake is Milton Keynes' most popular park with a super waterside cycling and walking path to enjoy
- Caldecotte Lake - Enjoy and easy cycle or walk around this pretty lake in Milton Keynes
- Grand Union Canal Walk - Follow the towpath of Britain's longest canal from London to Birmingham on this fabulous waterside walk
- Ouse Valley Way - Follow the River Great Ouse from the source at Brackley, Northamptonshire, to the mouth at The Wash at King's Lynn
- Midshires Way - This route follows public bridleways and quiet country lanes through Middle England, from Bledlow, near Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire, to Stockport in Greater Manchester