Musselburgh Beach and River Esk Walk
This historic market town lies just to the east of the city of Edinburgh in East Lothian. It's a lovely place to come for a walk with coastal paths along the Firth of Forth and riverside trails along the Esk to enjoy.
This walk takes you along the beach before picking up a riverside path along the River Esk.
The walk starts at the harbour and the pier and follows a shared cycling and walking path east along Fisherrow Beach. You'll come to the point where the river meets with the sea at the eastern end of the sands. Here you turn south and follow the river through the town to Eskview where you pick up the Penicuik to Musselburgh footway and cycleway. You can follow this south past Inveresk to Whitecraig and enjoy refreshment here before returning on the same paths. This final section passes the lovely Inveresk Gardens which is run by the National Trust for Scotland.
PostcodeEH21 6JE - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Musselburgh Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Musselburgh Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Musselburgh OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Musselburgh Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Musselburgh
- Arthur's Seat - This is a hugely popular climb to the peak of Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh's Holyrood Park
- John Muir Way - Follow the John Muir Way along the East Lothian Coast on this walk named after the father of the environment movement, John Muir
- Roslin Glen Country Park - Enjoy a super cycle or walk along the River North Esk in this country park in Midlothian
- Bonaly Country Park - This country park is located a few miles to the south of Edinburgh city centre
- Pencaitland Railway Walk - This shared cycling and walking trail runs along a disused railway line in Dalkeith near Edinburgh
- Haddington to Longniddry Railway Walk - This walk or cycle takes you along a dismantled railway line between the East Lothian towns of Haddington and Longniddry
- Gosford Estate - The Gosford Estate is located near to Longniddry in East Lothian
- Penicuik to Dalkeith Railway Walk - This shared cycling and walking trail runs from Penicuik to Dalkeith along a dismantled railway line
- Dalkeith Country Park - This large country park near Edinburgh has a number of excellent walking and cycling paths
- Rosslyn Chapel - This circular walk visits the 15th century Rosslyn Chapel in the village of Roslin in Midlothian.
The Staggs is a good choice for some post walk refreshment. They have a good selection of ales and a garden area for warmer days. The friendly pub has been run by the same family since 1858. You can find them on the High Street at postcode EH21 6JE for your sat navs.
The beach and river trails make for a fine dog walk. The Staggs mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
The epic John Muir Way starts in the town at Fisherrow. The first leg will take you to nearby Cockenzie.
Just to the south there's the splendid Dalkeith Country Park where there's miles of fine trails with lots of wildlife to see.
For cyclists National Cycle routes 1 and 76 past through the area. You can follow the signed trails towards Edinburgh or Dunbar.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Edinburgh Walks and Pentland Hills Walks pages.