Pickering Country and Woods Walk
This ancient market town is in a good position for walkers wishing to explore the North York Moors National Park.
This walk takes you from Pickering to the nearby village of Levisham, passing Newbridge and Blansby Park on the way. At the end of the walk you can catch the North Yorkshire Moors Railway back from Levisham railway station. The award winning heritage railway is a great way to see the area surrounding the town.
The walk starts in the town centre close to the train station. Head north through the town along the western side of Pickering Beck. On your right you will pass the ruins of the motte-and-bailey Pickering Castle. The castle dates from the 13th century and is particularly well-preserved. The site is now managed by English Heritage so you can tour the castle and learn all about the history for a reasonable fee.
The route continues towards Newbridge where you follow Blansby Park Lane into Blansby Park. There's some nice country paths and woodland trails to follow across the park and through East Brow Wood. The trail finishes at Levisham Station where you can catch the train back to Pickering.
You can extend the walk by picking up a footpath at the station and heading east to the village of Levisham.
Just to the east of the town you will find one of the prettiest villages in the national park at Thornton le Dale. There's delightful thatched cottages and lovely walks along the Thornton Beck to enjoy here.
Another good option is to pick up the Tabular Hills Walk which runs through East Brow Wood and Levisham. You could pick up the trail and follow it up to the Hole of Horcum. The beautiful natural amphitheatre is a stunning sight and one of the highlights of the North York Moors.
Dalby Forest is also located just to the north east of the town. There's miles of waymarked cycling and walking trails to try here.
You could also catch the railway up to the pretty village of Goathland where you can visit Mallyan Spout waterfall.
Pickering Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Pickering Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Pickering OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Pickering Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Pickering
- Tabular Hills Walk - This long distance trail takes you across the southern boundary of the North York Moors National Park
- Cropton Forest - This large area of coniferous woodland on the North York Moors has miles of footpaths and bridleways for walkers and mountain bikers
- Hole of Horcum - Enjoy a circular walk around this beautiful natural amphitheatre in the North York Moors
- Dalby Forest - Enjoy miles of cycling and walking trails in this large forest in the North York Moors
- Bridestones - Visit these fascinating sandstone sculptures on this splendid walk in Dalby Forest
- Levisham Circular Walk - A circular walk exploring the North York Moors around the village of Levisham
- Goathland - A circular walk around the village of Grosmont in the North York Moors
- Thornton le Dale - A circular walk from the village of Thornton le Dale, taking you through the countryside to Dalby Forest