This Surrey based village sits in a nice spot on a lovely section of the River Thames. There's much to enjoy with the historic Old Shepperton and the picturesque area around Shepperton Lock on the river. The village is also home to the famous Shepperton Film Studios.
This circular walk from the village takes you along the river to Halliford Mere, Desborough Island and Walton Bridge. The walk starts from the public car park on the Las Palmas Estate. You could also start from the train station which is about a 10 minute walk from the river. From the car park you pick up the Thames Path National Trail and head west to visit Halliford Mere. The route then heads south to the river passing through Old Shepperton where there are a number of interesting shops and buildings around an attractive square. At the river you can catch a little ferry over to the other side in Weybridge. This pedestrian ferry service has operated almost continuously for over 500 years. From Weybridge you head east and then north, following a riverside path through Desborough Island. You then cross the bridge at Walton on Thames to Lower Halliford. Around here you could pay a visit to the Shepperton Marina which lies just to the east. This route heads west to return you to the finish point back at the car park.
Shepperton Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Shepperton Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Shepperton OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Shepperton Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Shepperton
- Thames Path - Starting at the Source of the Thames at Thames Head in Gloucestershire, follow the iconic river through beautiful countryside and historic towns to the city of London.
The path runs for 184 miles running alongside the river for nearly the whole route making for a glorious experience whatever time of year
- Weybridge - A circular riverside walk around the town of Weybridge, visiting Walton on Thames and Chertsey.
Start the walk at the car park off Walton Lane and then join the riverside path, following it east past Desborough Island to Walton Bridge
- Walton on Thames - This walk takes you along a section of the Thames Path to Hampton Court Park
- River Wey Navigation - Follow the River Wey Navigation towpath from Godalming to the River Thames at Weybridge on this super waterside walk
- Esher Common - Enjoy a cycle or walk around this large open space in Surrey
- Claremont Park - This is a walk through Claremont Park and the beautiful Claremont Landscape Garden in Esher
- Wisley and Ockham Common - Explore over 800 acres of heathland and woodland on this walk in Surrey
- Wisley Gardens - These splendid RHS Gardens in Surrey have a number of lovely, well laid out footpaths to follow
- Chertsey - A circular walk around the Surrey town of Chertsey, visiting the Chertsey Meads, the River Bourne, the Abbey River, the Wey Navigation and the River Thames
- Oxshott - This Surrey based village has several local areas of common land which are ideal for walkers
The King's Head is located in a nice spot on the square in Old Shepperton. The pub has some history, dating all the way back to the 15th century. It was originally a coaching inn with the top bar being stables. They have a recently restored interior retaining much of the original charm of the old pub. On the walls you can see photos of several famous people who have visited the pub due to its proximity to Shepperton Film Studios. These include Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor who were regular visitors. You can find them at postcode TW17 9JY for your sat navs.
The river trails make for a fine dog walk and the King's Head mentioned above is also dog friendly in the bar area.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Head west along the river and you can try the Chertsey Walk which visits the Chertsey Meads, the River Bourne, the Abbey River, the Wey Navigation and the River Thames.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Surrey Walks page.