Circular Walk around Silsoe
This attractive village in Bedfordshire is home to English Heritage's Wrest Park. The estate provided the village with a number of its historic features including the St James's church, the old school and a row of picturesque almhouses.
This circular walk around the village takes you through the countryside surrounding the impressive Wrest Park. You'll also visit the Silsoe Nature Reserve and Park on the southern side of the settlement.
The walk starts in the village and heads east, skirting the edge of Wrest Park. There's some beautiful 'Capability' Brown landscaped gardens and a series of canals in this 92 acre park.
You continue south along bridge tracks to Higham Gobion before turning north to Fielden Court. The trail then heads through Buckle Grove Wood before entering the Silsoe Nature Reserve and Park. There's some nice easy footpaths here with ponds and wildlife to see. You can also pick up a footpath heading south west from here to Pulloxhill if you would like to extend the walk.
Silsoe Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Silsoe Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Silsoe OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Silsoe Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Silsoe
- Wrest Park - Explore 92 acres of landscaped early eighteenth-century garden in this lovely walk in Silsoe
- Ampthill Park - Climb the Greensand Ridge and enjoy wonderful views over Bedfordshire in this pretty park in Ampthill
- Flitwick - This Bedfordshire based town sits in a nice location on the River Flit, near Bedford and Ampthill
- Letchworth - Letchworth Garden City is located in Hertfordshire near to Hitchin and Stevenage
- Maulden Woods - Enjoy miles of nice woodland walking trails in this popular wood in Maulden, Bedfordshire
- Stewartby Lake Country Park - Also known as Millennium Country Park, this lovely area covers over 500 acres and includes woodland, grassland, meadow, lakes and wetland habitats
- Shefford - This Bedfordshire based town is close to several areas of woodland with miles of walking and cycling trails to try
- Rowney Warren Wood - These woods in Bedfordshire have walking trails, a BMX trail and mountain bike trails to try
- Bedford Park - Enjoy an easy stroll around this pretty park near the centre of Bedford
- Clophill and Haynes Circular Walk - A circular walk visiting the settlements of Clophill and Haynes in Bedfordshire
- Barton Hills - Visit the Barton Hills National Nature Reserve and enjoy peaceful walking trails in the Chilterns
- Chicksands Wood - These woods in central Bedfordshire have some good walking trails to try
- Sharpenhoe Clappers - Visit this classic chalk escarpment in the Chilterns and enjoy wonderful views across this beautiful area
The Star and Garter is a nice place for some post walk refreshment. The historic pub dates back to the 17th century and includes a car park, log fires and a lovely sun terrace. You can find them on the High Street at postcode MK45 4DR.
The country and woodland trails make for a fine dog walk. The Star and Garter mentioned above is also dog friendly.