This Bedfordshire based town is close to several areas of woodland with miles of walking and cycling trails to try. To the east there are also some pleasant waterside paths along the River Ivel and the River Hiz.
This walk from the town uses sections of the John Bunyan Trail and the Greensand Ridge Walk to visit Rowney Warren Wood,Maulden Woods,Chicksands Wood and the neighbouring village of Clophill.
The walk starts in the town centre where you can pick up the John Bunyan Trail and follow the waymarked footpath north west to Rowney Warren Wood. The woods include a network of walking paths and the Chicksands Bike Park where you can try some fine mountain bike trails.
After leaving the woods you come to Appley Corner near Haynes where you can pick up the Greensand Ridge Walk. Follow the trail south west and it will take you into Chicksands Wood where there are lot of woodland birds and bluebells to see in the spring months.
You continue west to the village of Clophill before entering Maulden Woods. These woods consist of semi-natural broadleaf woodland, acidic grassland and some conifer plantations. Look out for deer roaming around as you pass through this area. Near the woods you'll find the village of Maulden where you can enjoy some refreshments before the return leg.
PostcodeSG17 5AH - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Shefford Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Shefford Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Shefford OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Shefford Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Shefford
- Rowney Warren Wood - These woods in Bedfordshire have walking trails, a BMX trail and mountain bike trails to try
- Maulden Woods - Enjoy miles of nice woodland walking trails in this popular wood in Maulden, Bedfordshire
- Chicksands Wood - These woods in central Bedfordshire have some good walking trails to try
- Clophill and Haynes Circular Walk - A circular walk visiting the settlements of Clophill and Haynes in Bedfordshire
- Letchworth - Letchworth Garden City is located in Hertfordshire near to Hitchin and Stevenage
- Hitchin - The Hertfordshire town of Hitchin makes a great base for exploring the lovely north eastern corner of the Chiltern Hills.
This walk visits the nearby Pegsdon Hills using a number of the waymarked long distance trails which pass through the area surrounding the town
- Biggleswade - This market town in Bedfordshire has fine trails along the peaceful River Ivel and some attractive local countryside to explore.
- Kingfisher Way - This is a delightful walk along the River Ivel from Baldock to Roxton
- Barton Hills - Visit the Barton Hills National Nature Reserve and enjoy peaceful walking trails in the Chilterns
- Stevenage Outer Orbital Path - This well maintained walking path circles Stevenage in Hertfordshire and is known as the Stevenage Outer Orbital Path
- Stotfold - This is a lovely riverside walk to the picturesque Stotfold Mill in Bedfordshire near Baldock and Letchworth.
- Baldock - This walk from Baldock visits two pretty nature reserves along the River Ivel which flows through the area
- Ashwell - This pretty village in North Hertfordshire has some nice country trails along the scarp of the Icknield Way Path
- Arlesey - This small town in Bedfordshire is located close to two rivers where you can enjoy some easy waterside walking.
- John Bunyan Trail - Follow in the footsteps of John Bunyan, the Puritan Evangelist and author of the book 'Pilgrim's Progress'
- Greensand Ridge Walk - A walk through Bedforshire, Buckinghamshire and Cambridgeshire from Leighton Buzzard to Gamlingay
- Sharpenhoe Clappers - Visit this classic chalk escarpment in the Chilterns and enjoy wonderful views across this beautiful area
- Ickleford - This Hertfordshire village is located just north of Hitchin on the west bank of the River Hiz.
- Ampthill Park - Climb the Greensand Ridge and enjoy wonderful views over Bedfordshire in this pretty park in Ampthill
- Flitwick - This Bedfordshire based town sits in a nice location on the River Flit, near Bedford and Ampthill
- Henlow - This Bedfordshire based village is known for its 12th century church and the Champneys Health farm which is used by the rich and famous
- Pirton - This Hertfordshire based village is surrounded by some lovely Chilterns countryside which you can explore on two significant long distance trails.
The Railway Steamer is a good choice for some post walk refreshments in the town. They serve a fine Sunday lunch and have a lovely garden area where you can hire garden pods and sit out even if the weather is not so good. You can find them on Clifton Road at postcode SG17 5AH for your sat navs.
The woodland trails are ideal for dog walking and the Railway Steamer mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Just to the east there's Arlesey where you can enjoy a pleasant watereside stroll along the River Hiz in the Old Moat Nature Reserve. Near here there's Henlow where there's a noteworthy 12th century church and the Champneys Health farm which is used by the rich and famous.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Chilterns Walks and the Bedfordshire Walks pages.