This riverside circular walk explore the town of Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire. It's a great place for waterside strolls with the River Avon and River Severn running past the town.
The walk starts in the town centre near to the 12th century Tewkesbury Abbey. You then follow trails north along the River Avon, passing the attractive meadows at Severn Ham. There's lots of pretty wildflowers to see here in the summer months.
Just before Tewkesbury Quay you cross the bridge and follow the Avon round to where it meets up with the River Severn. Cross the Mythe Bridge and head south along the Severn towards Tirley.
The route then crosses the Haw Bridge and follows the footpath on the opposite side of the river towards the village of Deerhurst. Take a short detour here to visit the fasctinating Odda's Chapel. The Grade I listed Anglo-Saxon church dates from the 11th century. It is partly incorporated into a 16th or early 17th century farmhouse and was being used for accommodation when in 1865 its historic significance was realised.
After exploring Deerhurst continue along the Severn Way back to the town centre and the finish point.
This walk makes use of two long distance trails which runs through the town. You can extend your walking in the area by continuing along the Severn Way or Shakespeare's Avon Way.
You can also pick up the Gloucestershire Way and head east towards Oxenton.
Tewkesbury Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Tewkesbury Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Tewkesbury OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Tewkesbury Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Tewkesbury
- Severn Way - Follow the River Severn from its source at Plynlimon in Powys, to Bristol, the mouth of the river
- Gloucestershire Way - Travel from Chepstow in Wales to Tewkesbury in Gloucestshire and visit the Forest of Dean, the Severn Plain and the Cotswolds on this beautiful and varied walk
- Worcestershire Way - This walk takes you from Bewdley to Great Malvern where you can enjoy splendid views of the Malvern Hills.
The path starts on the River Severn in Bewdley and heads south, passing the villages of Abberley and Martley on your way to Great Malvern
- Shakespeare's Avon Way - This terrific waterside walk follows the River Avon from its source near Naseby to its confluence with the Severn at Tewkesbury
- Croome Court - Explore the extensive landscaped parkland surrounding this mid 18th century Neo-Palladian mansion near Pershore