West Kirby Coastal Walk
This coastal walk on the Wirral Peninsula takes you from the town of West Kirby to Wirral Country Park and Thurstaston Common. The popular Merseyside town is located on the north-west corner of the Wirral Peninsula at the mouth of the River Dee. As well as the nice coastal paths there's also parks, woodland and hill climbs to try in the area.
The walk starts from West Kirby train station where you can pick up the Wirral Way waymarked trail. The trail follows the trackbed of the former Birkenhead Railway branch line from Hooton and starts in the town. Follow the trail south through Ashton Park where there's a nice Model boating lake. You continue past the golf course to Wirral Country Park. The park is the first designated country park in Britain, opening in 1973. You can climb the 60 feet high, boulder-clay cliffs where there are splendid views of the Dee Estuary.
The path then heads away from the coast to the 'The Dungeon', which includes a wooded ravine with a small waterfall. Turn north west here and it will take you up to Thurstaston Common and Thurstaston Hill. There's pretty heather, woodland trails and more lovely views over the Dee Estuary, the city of Liverpool and the Welsh coast from here.
After exploring the common the route then descends back to the coastal path which you can follow back to the town.
To continue your walking around West Kirby try the popular walk out to Hilbre Island. The three tidal islands lying at the mouth of the Dee Estuary - Little Eye, Middle Eye and Hilbre are designated as the Hilbre Islands Nature Reserve. You can access the islands by foot from West Kirby at low tide. Our Hoylake to West Kirby Walk takes you along the coast with views to the island from the pretty Hilbre Point.
West Kirby Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
West Kirby Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
West Kirby OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
West Kirby Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near West Kirby
- Caldy Hill - Explore 250 acres of woodland and heathland on this lovely walk on the Wirral Peninsula
- Thurstaston Common and Coast - This walk explores Thurstaston Common before heading to Wirral Country Park on the coast
- Wirral Country Park - Enjoy fabulous views of the Wirral Peninsula in this delightful coastal country park
- Wirral Way - This is a terrific walk or cycle ride that runs along a pleasant traffic free path through the Wirral Countryside and along the coastal estuary of the River Dee
- Hilbre Island - Visit this beautiful island and nature reserve off the coast of West Kirby and enjoy some fabulous coastal scenery
- Wirral Circular Trail - Explore the beautiful Wirral Peninsula on this circular cycling and walking trail
- Hoylake to West Kirby Walk - This walk takes you along a lovely stretch of coast between Hoylake and West Kirby on the Wirral Peninsula
- Heswall Dales - This town on the Wirral is a great place for walkers with fine coastal trails and a lovely local nature reserve.