This village in south Cumbria is located just a few miles east of the famous Lake Windermere in the Lake District.
You're also close to Morecambe Bay where you can enjoy waterside walks in Grange-over-Sands and Cartmel .
This circular walk from the village visits Yewbarrow and the Whitbarrow National Nature Reserve. There's some splendid limestone scenery and excellent views from the high points on the walk.
The walk starts in the village next to the old church. From here you can follow footpaths up to Yewbarrow where there are some fine views to the surrounding fells.
You continue up to Whitbarrow and the Lord's Seat, another fine viewpoint. The route then loops through the nature reserve before turning west through Mill Side to return to the village.
Witherslack Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Witherslack Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Witherslack OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Witherslack Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Witherslack
- Whitbarrow National Nature Reserve - Enjoy wonderful limestone scenery, ancient woodland and rich ground flora in this nature reserve near Witherslack in the Lake District National Park
- Grange-over-Sands and Cartmel Circular - This circular walk makes use of the Cumbria Coastal Way and Cistercian Way to take you on a tour of the area surrounding this lovely coastal town.
- Windermere - With its mainline train station, beautiful lake and excellent facilities Windermere is a popular tourist destination for walkers
- Hampsfell Hospice - This circular walk climbs to the Hampsfell Hospice in Grange over Sands in Cumbria
- Arnside Knott - This popular circular walk takes you around a small, coastal hill in the Arnside and Silverdale AONB
- Silverdale - A circular walk from Silverdale railway station, taking you to Eaves Wood, Elmslack, the coastal path and Silverdale Green
- Leighton Moss Nature Reserve - This large nature reserve in Silverdale, is the perfect place for a peaceful walk in beautiful surroundings
- Warton Crag - Enjoy a circular walk around Warton Crag on this lovely route in Lancashire
- Kendal Castle and River Walk - A circular walk visiting the River Kent and Kendal Castle
- Lyth Valley - This 10 mile circular walk explores the beautiful Lyth Valley on the south eastern edge of the Lake District
- Foulshaw Moss - This walk visits the Foulshaw Moss Nature Reserve near Witherslack in Cumbria.
- Beetham - This pretty Cumbrian village sits within the Arnside and Silverdale AONB, close to the border with Lancashire.
- Milnthorpe - This attractive Cumbrian market town is located near the Lake District town of Kendal and the Arnside and Silverdale AONB.
Back in the village you can enjoy some post walk rest and refreshment at The Derby Arms. The pub has a charming interior with cosy log fires and period furniture. Outside there's a large garden which hosts a weekly onsite popup pizza restaurant, Great Lakes Pizza. You can find them at postcode LA11 6RH for your sat navs. The pub is also dog friendly if you have your canine friend with you.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Just to the east of the village there's the Foulshaw Moss Nature Reserve. The reserve has some nice boardwalks to follow over the peat bog. It's also excellent for wildlife with ospreys, hobby, sparrowhawk, buzzard and peregrine to look out for from the bird hides.