The town of Wivenhoe is located just south of Colchester on the River Colne in Essex. There's some lovely riverside walks and the town centre is also worth exploring on foot. It's a designated conservation area, with lots of buildings of some architectural significance.
This walk or cycle follows the Wivenhoe Trail along the river from Wivenhoe to Colchester. The trail runs for about 2.5 miles along a flat footpath with train stations at either end. There's great views of the surrounding countryside and a number of sculptures along the way, each one representing part of the history of the area.
The walk starts from the train station where you can pick up the Wivenhoe Trail and follow it north west along the river past Wivenhoe Wood. The trail passes the University of Essex before coming to the outskirts of Colchester at Hythe. Here you can catch the train back from Hythe Station or return along the same path.
Wivenhoe PostcodeCO7 9DJ - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Wivenhoe Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Wivenhoe Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Wivenhoe OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Wivenhoe Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Wivenhoe
- Brightlingsea - This attractive coastal town is located in the Tendring district of Essex
- Colchester - A circular riverside walk around the centre of Colchester, visiting Colchester Castle and the River Colne
- Mersea Island - Explore the coastline of the most easterly inhabited island in the United Kingdom island on this circular walk near Colchester
- Cudmore Grove Country Park - Located at the eastern end of Mersea Island this super country park is perfect for an easy coastal walk
- High Woods Country Park - This country park in Colchester includes woodland, open spaces, ponds, a lake and wildflower meadows
- Abberton Reservoir - This is a circular cycle ride on the quiet roads and country lanes surrounding this large reservoir near Colchester, Essex
Head to The Black Buoy for some refreshments after your exercise. The popular inn has been named CAMRA Rural Pub or the Year winner several times. They do excellent food and also have a lovely beer garden to relax in on warmer days. You can find the pub on Black Buoy Hill with a postcode of CO7 9BS.
Wivenhoe Dog Walking
The trail is great for dog walking and there's more nice woodland trails in nearby Cockaynes Wood too. The Black Bouy mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Head south east and you can visit the attractive town of Brightlingsea. There's good paths along the Colne Estuary with lots of water loving wildlife to see on Brightlingsea Marsh.
Just east of the train station you'll find Cockaynes Wood, a nature reserve managed by the Essex Wildlife Trust. There's some nice trails here with ancient woodland, ponds and pretty bluebells in the spring months. You can find the wood at postcode CO7 9JX for your sat navs.