Walk around Colchester
A circular riverside walk around the centre of Colchester, visiting Colchester Castle and the River Colne. The historic market town is the oldest recorded Roman town in Britain, and claimed to be the oldest town in Britain. It has a fascinating Roman history with many features of the occupation still visible today.
The walk starts at the Grade I listed Colchester Castle. The castle is a largely complete Norman castle, dating from the 11th century. It is surrounded by Castle Park where there's attractive parkland, trees, flowers, a model boating pond and a number of historic sites. You can visit the Roman Town Wall, the Norman Castle Keep, foundations of Roman Town Houses, an 18th century Summerhouse and Hollytrees House built in 1718. There's also a fascinating museum where you can find out about 2000 years of some of the most important events in British history.
After passing the castle the walk heads north through the Victorian Shrub Garden to the pretty boating lake. Here you come to Middle Mill Weir on the River Colne. A riverside footpath heads east and then south around the bend of the river to East Street. Turn right along East Hill and it will take you back to the castle grounds.
The walk can be extended by continuing along the river to The Hythe, Rowhedge and Wivenhoe.
To continue your walking in the Colchester town centre, head north and visit High Woods Country Park. The park has lovely footpaths taking you to woodland, open spaces, ponds, a lake and wildflower meadows.
Colchester is also located close to the lovely Dedham Vale AONB.
Colchester Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Colchester Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Colchester Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Colchester
- High Woods Country Park - This country park in Colchester includes woodland, open spaces, ponds, a lake and wildflower meadows
- Chalkney Wood - This area of ancient woodland near Chappel is a lovely place for a peaceful stroll
- Abberton Reservoir - This is a circular cycle ride on the quiet roads and country lanes surrounding this large reservoir near Colchester, Essex
- Dedham Vale - Explore John Constable country and visit the site of his famous Hay Wain painting on this circular walk in the Dedham Vale AONB
- Mersea Island - Explore the coastline of the most easterly inhabited island in the United Kingdom island on this circular walk near Colchester
- Cudmore Grove Country Park - Located at the eastern end of Mersea Island this super country park is perfect for an easy coastal walk
- Ardleigh Reservoir - This reservoir near Colchester has a nice country lane running along its northern side