110 miles (177 km)
Starting in Oakham, in Rutland, follow the Herward Way through Stamford, Peterborough, Ely, and the Breckland forests to Thetford, in Norfolk.
Highlights on the walk include
- Following the path around Rutland Water at the start of the route
- The River Welland and Burghley House at Stamford
- The section along the River Nene and through Ferry Meadows Country Park in Peterborough
- The wonderful Welney WWT near Downham Market. The reserve is one of the best bird watching sites in the country.
- Following the River Nene through March in Cambridgeshire
- The magnificent Ely Cathedral and gardens
- Following the Little Ouse River into Brandon
- Brandon Country Park and Thetford Forest
- The delightful RSPB Lakenheath Fen nature reserve near Brandon
- The final section through the Breckland Heaths and Forests
The walk is well waymarked with a yellow arrow featuring two swords.
Please click here for more information