This circular walk takes you to some of the highlights around the small village of Appletreewick in the Craven district of North Yorkshire. The 10 mile walk includes waterside sections along becks and rivers, a section through a wonderful limestone gorge and a visit to a lovely reservoir.
Starting in the village you first head east towards Skyreholme where you pick up a nice waterside path along the Skyreholme Beck. Follow the beck north and you will come to Troller's Gill, where you will find a picturesque limestone gorge. After passing through the unusual gorge you turn west at Gill Head toward Appletreewick Pasture. The route then turns north to follow footpaths to Grimwith Reservoir. The good sized lake is great for bird watching, with wildfowl including wigeon, teal, greylag geese and Canada geese to see on the water.
After enjoying the lake you turn south across Hartlington Pasture toward Dibble's Bridge by the River Dibble. Follow the paths to Hartlington where you pick up the Dales Way long distance trail. You can then follow the waymarked trail along the River Wharfe before returning to the village.
To extend your walking in the area head south along the river to visit the wonderful Bolton Abbey where you'll find a12th-century Augustinian monastery and the famous stepping stones. From here you can also enjoy a more challenging climb to the lovely viewpoint at Simon's Seat. Our Burnsall to Appletreewick and Simon's Seat Walk, passes through the village and visits the hill top.
Appletreewick Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Appletreewick Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Appletreewick OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Appletreewick Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Appletreewick
- Troller's Gill - This walk takes you to the wonderful limestone gorge of Troller's Gill in Wharfedale in the Yorkshire Dales
- Grimwith Reservoir - Enjoy a circular walk around this lovely reservoir in the Yorkshire Dales
- Dales Way - This wonderful walk takes you through the fabulous Yorkshire Dales and on into Cumbria and the spectacular Lake District
- Simons Seat - This walk from Bolton Abbey climbs through the Valley of Desolation to Simon's Seat
- Bolton Abbey - Explore the huge estate surrounding the ruins of this 12th-century Augustinian monastery
- Linton Falls - This popular walk from Grassington visits the spectacular Linton Falls in the Yorkshire Dales
- Burnsall to Appletreewick and Simon's Seat - This circular walk from Burnsall takes you to the village of Appletreewick and the wonderful viewpoint at Simon's Seat
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
The Craven Arms is a special pub and well worth some investigation. It dates back all the way to the 16th century when it was originally a farm house. The interior has bags of character and old world charm with pictures of heros, pioneers and inspiring historical figures adorning the walls. There's also oak beams, a thatched roof and an adjacent Cruck Barn, the first of its kind to be built since the times Of Henry the VIII. You can find it at a postcode of BD23 6DA for your sat navs. The pub is also dog friendly if you have your canine friend with you.