Walks Around Grassington
The North Yorkshire town of Grassington is an excellent base for exploring the beautiful Wharfedale on foot. It is the main residential and tourist centre in Upper Wharfedale and a popular place for walkers. Centred on its small cobbled square are a number of shops, public houses, cafes, restaurants and hotels. There is also the fascinating Grassington Folk Museum which tells the story of the history of Wharfedale.
This walk uses the Dales Way and other public footpaths to visit some of the highlights of the area. You'll enjoy riverside paths, waterfalls, rushing becks, historic houses, challenging climbs and wonderful limestone scenery.
The walk starts in the centre of the town and follows the Dales Way to the River Wharfe where you pick up the riverside path. It heads south east to the beautiful Linton Falls where there is a great viewpoint from the bridge over the river. The route continues towards Hebden and Burnsall before turning north along the Fir Beck towards Skyreholme. Shortly after you come to the delightful Parceval Hall Gardens. This Grade II listed manor house has 24 acres of formal and woodland gardens to explore and is well worth a small detour from the route.
The walk continues to another major highlight of Wharfedale at Troller's Gill. The wonderful limestone gorge includes the pretty Skyreholme Beck which flows through it.
The final section of the walk climbs to Grimwith Reservoir. The large reservoir is another must see attraction of the area. It has a splendid circular trail running around the perimeter of the water with a wide variety of water loving birdlife to look out for.
To continue your walking in the Grassington area you could head north west of the town to the Grass Wood Nature Reserve. The reserve has miles of woodland trails with lots of wildlife to look out for.
If you follow the Dales Way north from the town you could visit the interesting limestone valley at Conistone Dib and the pretty village of Kettlewell. See full details on the Grassington to Kettlewell Walk. This is another great area for walkers with the climb to Great Whernside starting from the village.
You could also try our alternative Grassington Circular Walk which visits the pretty village of Hebden before climbing into the countryside above the town.
Grassington Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Grassington Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Grassington OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Grassington Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Grassington
- Dales Way - This wonderful walk takes you through the fabulous Yorkshire Dales and on into Cumbria and the spectacular Lake District
- Linton Falls - This popular walk from Grassington visits the spectacular Linton Falls in the Yorkshire Dales
- Troller's Gill - This walk takes you to the wonderful limestone gorge of Troller's Gill in Wharfedale in the Yorkshire Dales
- Grimwith Reservoir - Enjoy a circular walk around this lovely reservoir in the Yorkshire Dales
- Grassington Circular Walk - A lovely circular walk around Grassington, taking you along the River Wharfe to the village of Hebden before climbing into the countryside above the town
- Burnsall to Grassington - A delightful waterside walk along the River Wharfe from Burnsall to Grassington in the Yorkshire Dales
- Circular Walk around Kettlewell - This challenging circular walk climbs to Great Whernside, Blackfell Top and Blackfell Dike from the popular village of Kettlewell, in the Nidderdale area of the Yorkshire Dales.
The route starts in the village and heads along the lovely Dowber Gill Beck where there's a series of pretty waterfalls
- Grassington to Kettlewell - A linear walk on the Dales Way between these two popular Yorkshire towns
- Grassington to Conistone Walk - This walk takes you from Grassington to the nearby village of Conistone
- Upper Wharfedale - This circular walk explores Upper Wharfedale and Langstrothdale in the Yorkshire Dales National Park