Explore the area surrounding the Oxfordshire town of Banbury on this long circular walk. The attractive market town is surrounded by some lovely countryside with miles of good footpaths to follow. It's a very rural area so the town makes for a great base for walkers.
This walk makes use of waymarked long distance trails to visit some of the highlights of the area. This includes the Oxford Canal, Spiceball Country Park, the River Cherwell and a series of pretty villages.
The walk starts in the centre of town and follows the Oxford Canal towpath south, before turning north east along the Jurassic Way. You cross the River Cherwell before heading through the countryside to Middleton Cheney, Chacombe and Upper Wardington. The route then passes the Grade I listed Edgcote House before coming to Chipping Warden where you pick up the Macmillan Way. This takes you west to meet up with the canal at Claydon Locks. Following the canal south through Cropredy then takes you back to Banbury, with nice views of the Cherwell as you go. Just before finishing the walk you will pass through the pretty Spiceball Country Park with wild flower meadows, community woodland and several areas of native trees and shrubs.
You can virtually follow a section of the Oxford Canal through Banbury using the google street view link below!
Other Walks around Banbury
- Broughton Castle - Enjoy a short stroll around Broughton Castle and Broughton park on this interesting walk in Oxfordshire. The moated manor house is very picturesque with nice footpaths running across the surrounding grounds with good views of the north Oxfordshire countryside. You can also enjoy a stroll around the pretty Ladies' Garden with its variety of plants and flowers. The castle is located just a couple of miles from Banbury.
- Spiceball Country Park - Enjoy an easy stroll along the Oxford Canal and the River Cherwell in this country park in Banbury. In the park you will find wildlife, wild flower meadows, community woodland and several areas of native trees and shrubs.
- Jurassic Way - This walk follows the Jurassic limestone ridge from Banbury to Stamford passing through Northamptonshire,Oxfordshire and Lincolnshire.
- Macmillan Way - This long distance path links Boston in Lincolnshire to Abbotsbury in Dorset. It is promoted to raise money for the charity Macmillan Cancer Relief
- Oxford Canal Walk - Follow the Oxford Canal from Oxford to Coventry on this splendid waterside walk. You follow the towpath of the canal for the duration of the route meaning this is a fairly easy walk (providing you don't do at all at once!)
- Battlefields Trail - This interesting walking trail links three of England's most significant Battlefields. You can pick it up at Chipping Warden, just north of Banbury.