Barnard Castle Walks
Enjoy a walk around the historic castle and along the River Tees on this walk in County Durham. It's a fascinating town with a 12th century castle and the ruins of Egglestone Abbey. This walk starts in the centre of town and follows a section of the long distance Teesdale Way along the River Tees. You'll pass the castle before coming to the ruined abbey where you can cross the river on Abbey Bridge. You can then follow other public footpaths on the other side of the river back to the town.
The 12th century castle ruins are well worth exploring with nice views over the Tees Gorge, a sensory garden of scented plants and remains of the medieval chapel of St Margaret. Egglestone Abbey ruins are another major highlight on the walk. The atmospheric ruins overlook the river and include remains of a 13th century church and a range of living quarters, with evidence of an ingenious toilet drainage system.
Another must see in the town is the Bowes Museum. The museum is located just to the east of the river and contains a nationally renowned art collection with works by El Greco, Francisco Goya, Canaletto, Jean-Honore Fragonard and Francois Boucher. There's also beautiful landscaped gardens to explore.
This route follows the river in a south easterly direction but you could also follow it north west towards Cotherstone and Romaldkirk. The Teesdale Way waymarked path runs along both sides of the river in this direction. Our Teesdale Way Circular Walk starts from the castle and is a great way of exploring the area. It links with the Tees Railway Walk between Cotherstone and Ronaldkirk.
If you were to continue east along the river you would come to Rokeby Park where the River Tees meets with the River Greta.
PostcodeDL12 8PH - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Barnard Castle Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Barnard Castle Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Barnard Castle OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Barnard Castle Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Barnard Castle
- Teesdale Way Circular Walk - This is a fine circular walk using a section of the Teesdale Way between Barnard Castle and Eggleston
- Teesdale Way - Follow the River Tees from Dufton, in Cumbria, to Redcar on the North Yorkshire coast
- Tees Railway Walk - This walk runs along the old trackbed of the Tees Valley Railway, from Cotherstone to Romaldkirk
- Piercebridge - This circular walk visits the interesting Piercebridge Roman Fort before following the Teesdale Way along the River Tees to nearby Gainford
- Middleton in Teesdale - This market town in County Durham is positioned in a scenic area in the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB)
- Romaldkirk - This picturesque village in County Durham is surrounded by some beautiful Teesdale countryside
Head to the historic Old Well Inn for some post walk refreshment. The 17th century pub serves good quality food and includes a nice garden area with views of the castle. You can find them at 21 The Bank, DL12 8PH.
The river trails make for a fine dog walk and the Old Well Inn mentioned above is also dog friendly. Please keep them on leads around the Egglestone Abbey area.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
For more walking ideas in the area see the County Durham Walks page.