Walk around Barnstaple
This walk makes use of three of the waymarked trails which pass through the town. You'll follow sections of the Barnstaple Heritage Trail, the Tarka Trail and the Macmillan Way to explore the town before enjoying riverside footpaths along the River Taw.
The walk starts in the town centre where you can pick up the Barnstaple Heritage Trail which takes you to some of the significant buildings in the town. Highlights include the Queen Anne's Walk (formerly The Mercantile Exchange), completed in 1713 as a meeting place for the town's merchants. Today the building houses the Barnstaple Heritage Centre and the area in front is inset with a mosaic depicting Barnstaple's history. There's also the noteworthy Dodderidgian Library which was founded in 1667 and is a Grade II listed building. It represents one of the earliest town libraries in England which continues in existence since its foundation.
After exploring the town the route picks up riverside footpaths along the River Taw. You'll pass Barnstaple Long Bridge an interesting medieval bridge which links the town with Tawstock. The path heads south east along the Tarka Trail, leading you through Rock Park, before crossing the river on a footbridge. On the other side of the river you pick up the Macmillan Way and follow it north to Barnstaple Long Bridge which you then cross. From here it is a short walk back into the town where the route finishes.
To continue your walking around the town pick up the South West Coast Path and head west to visit the lovely settlements of Appledore and Bideford. There's lovely walks here along the River Torridge and through the nearby Northam Burrows Country Park.
Barnstaple Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Barnstaple Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Barnstaple OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Barnstaple Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Barnstaple
- Tarka Trail - This wonderful walk through Devon follows the path taken by Tarka the Otter in the book of that name
- Macmillan Way - This long distance path links Boston in Lincolnshire to Abbotsbury in Dorset
- South West Coast Path - This incredible 600 mile walk follows the coast from Minehead in Somerset, through Devon and Cornwall and onto the finish point at Poole in Dorset
- Appledore - This pretty Devon village is located at the mouth of the River Torridge, near the towns of Barnstaple and Bideford
- Bideford - This attractive North Devon town has some lovely walks along the estuary of the River Torridge
- Northam Burrows Country Park - Explore over 600 acres of grassy coastal plain, salt marsh, sand dunes and grasslands in this coastal country park in Devon