Church Stretton Walks
This attractive market town is a great place for exploring the Shropshire Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It is located close to the lovely Carding Mill Valley and Long Mynd with various long distance trails also running through the area.
The town was nicknamed Little Switzerland in the late Victorian and Edwardian period because of its landscape. The local geology includes some of the oldest rocks in England.
This walk takes starts in the town near to the train station which is on the Welsh Marches line. The route then heads north west along a section of the Jack Mytton Way to Carding Mill Valley. The delighful National Trust owned area includes pretty streams, mill pools, waterfalls and a small reservoir. The route then climbs up to Lightspot Hollow where you will find a waterfall in a beautiful V-shaped valley lined with bilberry, bracken and heather.
You then head up on to the Long Mynd where you can enjoy fabulous views over the area. This walk then returns to the village via the Jack Mytton Way but you could head south and climb to Pole Bank or head north to explore the Betchcott Hills.
To extend your walking around Church Stretton you could enjoy a climb to Caer Caradoc and enjoy fabulous views over the AONB.
The Shropshire Way long distance trail also runs through the area. Pick up the trail to further explore the Shropshire Hills AONB.
Church Stretton Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Church Stretton Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Church Stretton OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Church Stretton Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Other Walks around Church Stretton
- Caer Caradoc - Climb to the 1500 ft (459 m) summit of this distinctive hill in the Shropshire Hills AONB
- Long Mynd - This circular walk takes you to Pole Bank, the highest point on the Long Mynd in the Shropshire Hills AONB
- Carding Mill Valley - Visit a lovely reservoir and waterfall on this short walk in the Shropshire Hills AONB
- Jack Mytton Way - This is a splendid walk or mountain bike ride through Shropshire from Cleobury Mortimer to Llanfair Waterdine
- Shropshire Way - This walk takes you through some of the most beautiful countryside in Shropshire