Circular Walk Around Coventry
This long circular walk uses a mixture of waymarked footpaths and minor roads to take you to some of the highlights of the city. You'll visit interesting historical locations, various attractive parks, two areas of common land and also enjoy waterside stretches along the River Sherbourne which runs through the city.
The walk starts at Coventry Cathedral in the city centre. The new cathedral sits beside the ruins of the old 14th century cathedral which was bombed in the suring the Second World War. From here the route picks up the Sherbourne Valley Way waymarked trail to take you south east along the River Sherbourne to Lower Stoke and Whitly Common.
You then pick up a section of the A Coventry Way Circular Walk to take you north west through Stivichall to the War Memorial Park. The large park was opened in July 1921 as a tribute to the 2,587 Coventrians who died between 1914 and 1918 fighting in the First World War. It includes the 90 feet (27 m) high war memorial monument which is the most prominent construction in the park. There's also large open green areas with many trees and shrubberies.
After exploring the park the route continues north west to visit Hearsall Common. The larger eastern section of the common is a large open area of mowed grass that attracts dog walkers, sunbathers and kite flyers. The common includes nice woodland areas, a nature reserve and lots of wildlife to look out for.
After leaving the common the route heads east through Spon End to return to the cathedral, where the walk finishes.
To continue your walking around the city pick up the Coventry Canal near the Cathedral and follow it north toward Bedworth. You could also pick up the Coventry Way which takes you through the countryside surrounding the city. It also visits the nearby town of Kenilworth with its impressive castle.
The Brandon Marsh Nature Reserve and the woodland trails at Brandon Woods are also nearby.
Coventry Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Coventry Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Coventry OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Coventry Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Coventry
- Brandon Woods - These woods near Coventry have a network of good footpaths to follow around the 178 acre site
- Coventry Canal - Enjoy waterside cycling and walking along the 38 mile long Coventry Canal towpath
- Coventry Way - This walk circles the countryside around Coventry taking you through some fine Warwickshire countryside and a series of interesting villages.
The walk starts at Meriden and heads towards Kenilworth with its impressive castle - described by architectural historian Anthony Emery as the 'finest surviving example of a semi-royal palace of the later middle ages, significant for its scale, form and quality of workmanship'
- Brandon Marsh - This lovely nature reserve near Coventry has some nice footpaths taking you around a series of lakes and lagoons
- Ryton Pools Country Park - Enjoy a cycle or walk around this lovely park in Ryton, Warwickshire
- Kenilworth - A short circular walk around the Warwickshire town of Kenilworth, visiting St Mary's Abbey, Abbey Fields and Kenilworth Castle
- Hearsall Common - This area of common land is located just to the west of Coventry city centre