GPS Cycle and Walking Routes

Leiston Walks

2 miles (2.8 km)

This East Suffolk based town is located near the coast and the towns of Aldeburgh and Saxmundham.
This walk from the village takes you to the ruins of Leiston Abbey. The historic14th-centuryremains are located in a scenic spot to the north of the village. You can follow a public footpath to the site where there's the atmospheric ruins and some pleasant countryside views.
Please scroll down for the full list of walks near and around Leiston. The detailed maps below also show a range of footpaths, bridleways and cycle paths in the area.

Leiston OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking

Leiston Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking

Walks near Leiston

  • Saxmundham - This Suffolk based market town has some nice trails to try through the valley of the River Fromus
  • Westleton - This Suffolk village is a fine place to start a walk
  • East Suffolk Line Walks - Follow the 'East Suffolk Line' railway from Ipswich to Lowestoft on this splendid walk through the Suffolk countryside
  • Aldeburgh to Snape Maltings - This walk visits the lovely Snape Maltings Nature Reserve from the coastal town of Aldeburgh in Suffolk
  • Tunstall Forest - This large forest in Suffolk has miles of good footpaths and a 10 mile red graded single-trackmountain bike trail
  • Orford Ness - Follow the walking trails around this beautiful nature reserve on the Suffolk Coast
  • Rendlesham Forest - Rendlesham Forest is probably most famous for reported UFO sightings in 1980 but it is also a great place for cycling and walking
  • Suffolk Coast Path - A walk along the beautiful Suffolk coast from Felixstowe to Lowestoft
  • Aldeburgh to Thorpeness - A circular walk from Aldeburgh to Thorpeness, taking in the Suffolk Coast, the wonderful Thorpeness Meare and the North Warren RSPB reserve.
    Start from Aldeburgh at the Fort Green car park on the front
  • Aldeburgh - The coastal Suffolk town of Aldeburgh is a lovely place for walkers
  • Framlingham Castle - This walk visits the 12th century Framlingham Castle and follows the public footpaths surrounding the attractive Suffolk based market town
  • Dunwich Forest - This large forest is located in the Suffolk Coasts and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in the village of Dunwich
  • Dunwich Heath - This beautiful coastal heathland is a wonderful place for a peaceful circular walk
  • Dunwich to Walberswick Walk - This circular walk takes you from Dunwich to Walkberswick on the Suffolk coast
  • Halesworth - This Suffolk based market town has some nice trails along the Blyth River
  • Iken - This walk explores the area around the Suffolk village of Iken
  • Minsmere Nature Reserve - Enjoy a peaceful walk around this lovely coastal nature reserve near Leiston
  • Yoxford - This East Suffolk village is located in a pleasant rural spot, not far from the coast.

Photos

Leiston Abbey - geograph.org.uk - 1884505

Leiston Abbey 1. The abbey was a religious institution of Canons Regular who followed the Premonstratensian rule and were commonly known as the White canons. It was dedicated to St. Mary. The abbey's origins can be traced back to approximately 1183 when it was founded by Ranulf de Glanville (circa 1112-1190), who served as the Chief Justiciar to King Henry II (reign 1180-1189).

Leiston Abbey - the music school - geograph.org.uk - 1884515

Leiston Abbey 2. The extensive remnants of the second abbey are situated in the fields west of the road leading north from Leiston toward Theberton. Following the closure of the Abbey, the estate came under the ownership of Charles Brandon, the 1st Duke of Suffolk. The former Abbey premises were repurposed as a farm, with the farmhouse being integrated into the original abbey walls.

Footpath to the B1122 Abbey Road - geograph.org.uk - 2508362

Footpath to the B1122 Abbey Road.

Leiston Abbey - geograph.org.uk - 1969639

Leiston Abbey 3. Over time, modifications were made to the structure, including the addition of a Georgian frontage to the house. Substantial expansions took place in the 1920s. In 1928, the ruins and the farm were acquired by Ellen Wrightson, who intended to use the property as a religious retreat. Her passing in 1946 led to her generous bequest of the house, ruins, land, and buildings to the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich.

Westward Ho, Leiston - geograph.org.uk - 3897694

Westward Ho, Leiston

Pond at Leiston House Farm - geograph.org.uk - 4555197

Pond at Leiston House Farm

Sizewell Road Leiston - geograph.org.uk - 2460082

Sizewell Road Leiston. The town experienced prosperity during the late 19th and early 20th centuries when it functioned as an industrial town. It was predominantly shaped by the presence of Richard Garrett & Sons, the proprietors of Leiston Works. This establishment was noteworthy for introducing the world's initial assembly line for the production of portable steam engines. The company was also involved in the manufacturing of steam-powered tractors and a wide range of cast and machined metal items, including the production of munitions in both world wars.

Leiston Abbey - geograph.org.uk - 1884500

Leiston Abbey 4. In 1977, the site was acquired and transformed into the headquarters of the Pro Corda Trust, serving as a center for the specialized education and training of chamber musicians. The management of the site is overseen by the trust, and its preservation is under the guardianship of English Heritage.

Video

GPS Files

GPX File

Leiston.gpx (On Desktop:Right Click>'Save As. On Ipad/Iphone:Click and hold>Share>Save to Files')