This circular walk takes you through the countryside surrounding the Carmarthenshire town of Llandeilo. It makes use of two of the waymarked footpaths which run through the area.
The walk starts in the town near to the train station. From here you head east to cross the River Towy before heading south to Tregeyb Wood. This area is also a nature reserve with some nice woodland trails. Ancient woodland (predominantly oak and ash), grassland and new native woodland are the prominent features.
The route then follows countryside paths to Carreg Cennen Castle.
The castle sits on an elevated limestone precipice with fabulous views over the lovely Brecon Beacons countryside. There are a series of good footpaths taking you around the grounds and an invigorating climb up to the castle itself.
After exploring the castle you pick up public footpaths heading north west Gelligroes and Ffairfach where you cross the River Cennen. The route continues north, crossing the single-arched Llandeilo Bridge which was completed in 1848 and is Grade II listed. From here it is a short stroll back into the town centre and the finish point of the walk.
To continue your walking in the area head west of the town to Dinefwr Park. Here you'll find a 12th-century castle, a historic house, an 18th-century landscaped park and a medieval deer park. Near here there's also Gelli Aur Country Park which surrounds the old Golden Grove Mansion. The town is nicely positioned on the edge of the Brecon Beacons where there are miles of great trails to try.
Llandeilo Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Llandeilo Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Llandeilo OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Llandeilo Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Llandeilo
- Carreg Cennen Castle - Enjoy a circular walk around this spectacularly positioned ruined castle in Carmarthenshire
- Dinefwr Park - Explore the 12th-century Welsh castle, the historic house, the 18th-century landscaped park and the medieval deer park in this large park in Llandeilo.
- Llyn Llech Owain - Enjoy waterside paths and woodland trails in this 158-acre country park in Carmarthenshire
- Gelli Aur Country Park - This lovely country park surrounds the Golden Grove mansion in Carmarthenshire.
- Garn Goch - This walk climbs to the hill fort at Garn Goch, located near Llandeilo and Llangadog in the Brecon Beacons.
- Ammanford - This former coal mining town is located in Carmarthenshire on the Heart of Wales Line.
- Brechfa Forest - Enjoy miles of footpaths and mountain bike trails in this super forest in Carmarthenshire
- Abergorlech - This village in Carmarthenshire is the gateway to the expansive Brechfa Forest where you can enjoy miles of waymarked walking and mountain bike trails
- Talley Abbey - This walk explores the atmospheric ruins of the 12th century Talley Abbey in Carmarthenshire.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
A few to the south there's Llyn Llech Owain to visit. The country park has some good woodland mountain bike trails and a pretty lake to see.
The Heart of Wales Line Trail passes through the town. The 143 mile trail explores the Heart of Wales Railway Line, a wonderful rural railway running between Swansea and Shrewsbury. The trail visit several train stations, old railway lines and photogenic railway viaducts. Heading north east along the trail would take you to Garn Goch hill fort and Llangadog. To the south is Ammanford where you can enjoy nice trails through the River Amman Valley and pick up the Heart of Wales Line Trail.