Walks Around Swansea
Swansea has some great coastal walking with other nice trails to be found in the woods, country parks, reservoirs and canals nearby. It's proximity to the Afan Forest, the Brecon Beacons National Park and the wonderful Gower AONB also make it a great base for walkers.
This walk around Swansea takes you along the Wales Coast Path to Singleton Park, Clyne Valley Park and the Mumbles. There's great views across Swansea Bay with its lovely beaches and the opportunity to explore some coastal parks on the way.
The walk starts at the marina next to the River Tawe in Swansea. You follow the path west past The Tower at Meridian Quay, the tallest building in Wales, standing at 107m (351ft). Soon after you come to Brynmill and the lovely Singleton Park. The botanical gardens feature Herbaceous borders, a Rock garden, Ornamental gardens, a Japanese bridge, Glasshouses and a Herb garden.
The path then bends round to the south towards Black Pill where you can visit Clyne Valley Country Park. Here you will find 700 acres of wooded hillsides, steep gorges, meadows and wet valley floor.
The path continues south into the Mumbles District where you will pass the ruins of Oystermouth Castle. The Norman stone castle, overlooks Swansea Bay on the east side of the Gower Peninsula.
The final section climbs towards Mumbles Head finishing near the Victorian pier. The pier was opened in 1898 at the terminus of the Swansea and Mumbles Railway, which in its time was one of the oldest passenger railways in the world. There's also a Lighthouse built in 1794 and a number of nice cafes and pubs for refreshments at the end of your walk.
You can virtually explore this section of the coast path on the google street view link below.
Swansea Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Swansea Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Swansea OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Swansea Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Swansea
- Penllergare Valley Woods - Penllergare Valley Woods in Swansea is a wonderful place for walkers with miles of woodland trails, lakes, and beautiful waterfalls
- Bishopston Valley - This walk takes you through a beautiful wooded valley to the stunning beach at Pwll Du Bay
- Singleton Park - Enjoy a peaceful stroll through the beautiful botanical gardens in this large park in Swansea
- Mumbles Circular - This circular walk takes you around the Mumbles headland on the western edge of Swansea Bay, just south of Swansea
- Craig-y-Nos Country Park - This delightful 40-acre Victorian garden is perfect for a peaceful stroll
- Swansea Canal - Enjoy an easy waterside cycle or walk along the Swansea Canal and River Tawe
- Gnoll Estate Country Park - Explore 240 acres of woodland and wide open spaces in this country park in Neath
- Aberdulais Falls - This circular walk in Neath visits the lovely Aberdulais waterfall and explores the woodland trails in Craig Gwladys Country Park
- Afan Forest Park Country Park - Set in the beautiful Afan Valley in Neath Port Talbot, this 48-square-mile forest park has miles of cycling trails, walking trails and several fantastic mountain bike trails
- Margam Country Park - This large country park includes the magnificent Margam Castle, an 18th Century Orangery with ornamental gardens and a Deer Park, all set within 1000 acres of beautiful countryside