Maldon Circular River and Canal Walk
This pretty Essex town has a series of delightful waterside footpaths to try. This circular walk runs for a distance of just over 3 miles on fairly flat footpaths. On the way you'll enjoy nice views of the River Chelmer, the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation Canal, and the River Blackwater. The route also includes a visit to the pretty Elms Farm Park.
The walk starts on Fullbridge, over the River Chelmer, in the town centre. From here you can pick up footpaths heading north west toward Beeleigh Abbey. The abbey was originally constructed in 1180 for the White Canons, otherwise known as the Norbertines or Premonstratensians. It is now a private residence and not generally open to the public, but small private groups may be shown around it by prior arrangement with the owners. The roofs of the resilient medieval buildings can be seen from a footpath that runs down market hill and ends following the River Chelmer. The abbey gardens, are now also open to the public, on specific days during the summer months.
The route continues to Beeleigh Falls where you can enjoy the rushing water of the weirs and see Beeleigh Falls House, an attractive Victorian villa. At the falls you change direction to pick up the a trail along the River Blackwater. You'll pass along Maldon Golf Club before coming to a bridge where you can cross to enter Elms Farm Park. The park has nice paths and running along a pretty lake and interesting flora and fauna to see.
After exploring the park you can return to the river and follow the trails back to Fullbridge.
To continue your walking in the town head south and visit Maldon Marine Lake and Promenade Park. There's more nice trails here and lovely views of River Blackwater Estuary to enjoy.
Maldon is also the start of the Blackwater Rail Trail which runs along a disused railway line from the town to Witham.
Also of interest is the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation Canal which starts in Maldon and runs to Chelmsford. The canal takes you through some lovely Essex countryside, passing a series of pretty locks, a number of reservoirs and the villages of Little Baddow and Ulting.
Our Blackwater Estuary Walk starts from Maldon and runs to the Tollesbury Wick Nature Reserve along a lovely waterside footpath.
Maldon Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Maldon Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Maldon OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Maldon Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Maldon
- Blackwater Rail Trail - This is a nice, easy cycle or walk along a disused railway line between Witham and Maldon in Essex
- Witham River Walk - This nice waterside stroll follows the River Brain through the Essex town of Witham
- Chelmsford - This walk in the Essex city of Chelmsford takes you along the River Can and River Chelmer to Sandford Mill
- Blackwater Estuary - Enjoy a walk along the lovely Blackwater Estuary from Maldon to Tollesbury
- Heybridge Basin - This easy waterside walk takes you from Heybridge Basin to the Chigborough Lakes Nature Reserve on the Blackwater Estuary in Essex
- Beeleigh Falls - Enjoy a short walk to these pretty falls on the River Chelmer in Essex