This walk explores the area around the Anglesey town of Menai Bridge. You'll enjoy wonderful views over the Menai Strait as you cross the water on the bridge of the same name. You'll also visit the lovely Treborth Botanic Garden, one of the highlights of the area.
The walk starts in the car park at Menai Bridge, just north of the bridge and close to Church Island. From here you can pick up footpaths heading south along the delightful Belgian Promendade where there are views towards the suspension bridge. The path leads to the bridge which you cross to mainland Wales. The impressive structure was designed by Thomas Telford and completed in 1826. It is also Grade I listed.
After crossing the bridge head west to the Treborth Botanic Garden. The garden has extensive outdoor grounds which extend all the way down to the shore of the Menai Strait. The grounds feature large areas of woodland, rock gardens, orchard and wildflower meadows alongside traditional outdoor planting. There's also a nice cafe with an outdoor seating area, where you could stop for refreshments.
After exploring the gardens the route comes to the Britannia Bridge or Pont Britannia. This road bridge also crosses the Menai Strait which was originally designed and built by the noted railway engineer Robert Stephenson. The route then returns on the same paths back to the Menai Bridge and the car park.
To continue your walking in the area head north east from the bridge and visit the popular coastal town of Bangor. Here you can visit the Roman Camp and climb to Bangor Mountain for fine views of the bridge.
The Anglesey Coast Path also passes the bridge. This long distance waymarked trail is a fine way of exploring the area.
Menai Bridge Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Menai Bridge Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Menai Bridge OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Menai Bridge Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Menai Bridge
- Bangor - This walk around Bangor takes you to some of the highlights of the coastal town
- Anglesey Coast Path - Follow the beautiful coastline of the Isle of Anglesey on the fabulous walk
- Llanddwyn Island - This walk explores Llanddwyn Island (Ynys Llanddwyn) on the Isle of Anglesey
- Newborough Forest - Explore this fabulous coastal forest in Anglesey on this cycling and walking route in Wales
- Beaumaris Castle and Coast - Visit the fascinating 13th century Beaumaris Castle and then enjoy a coastal section on this walk in the town of Beaumaris in Anglesey
- Penmon Point - This walk on Penmon Point visits the Trwyn Du Lighthouse where you can enjoy lovely views towards Puffin Island, Great Orme and Snowdon