This town in the Swansea Valley has some nice riverside and canalside paths to try.
This walk from the town takes you along the Swansea Canal and the River Tawe towards Ystalyfera and Gurnos. On the way there's lots of pretty locks and bridges over the canal and river to see.
The walk follows the waymarked St Illtyd's Walk for most of the way. This long distance trail could also be followed south through the Crynant Forest part way along the route.
Please click here for more information
Pontardawe Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Pontardawe Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Pontardawe OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Pontardawe Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Pontardawe
- St Illtyd's Walk - A religous walk from Pembrey Country Park (Carmarthenshire) to Margam Country Park (Neath)
- Swansea Canal - Enjoy an easy waterside cycle or walk along the Swansea Canal and River Tawe
- Cwm Clydach - This National Nature Reserve near Swansea has some fine walking trails to try. On the way you'll see some lovely scenery with bluebell woodland, pretty waterfalls and lots of interesting flora and fauna to look out for
- Swansea - Swansea has some great coastal walking with other nice trails to be found in the woods, country parks, reservoirs and canals nearby
- Pembrey Country Park - With stunning views of the Gower Peninsula and Carmarthen Bay this coastal country park is one of the most popular in the UK
- Millennium Coastal Park Llanelli - This fabulous country park in Carmarthenshire has miles of coastal cycling and walking paths to enjoy
- Penllergare Valley Woods - Penllergare Valley Woods in Swansea is a wonderful place for walkers with miles of woodland trails, lakes, and beautiful waterfalls
- Pontarddulais - This town is located near to the city of Swansea and the splendid Gower Peninsula.
- Rhigos Mountain - This walk explores the hills and lakes around the village of Rhigos in the Rhondda Cynon Taf.
- Maerdy Reservoir - This walk visits two pretty reservoirs from the village of Maerdy in Rhondda Cynon Taf.
- Dare Valley Country Park - Enjoy a cycle or walk around this large country park in Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taf
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
To continue your walking in the area head to Cwm Clydach National Nature Reserve. There's a wonderful river gorge and lots of interesting flora and fauna to see here.
Head west and you can visit Pontarddulais and enjoy a climb to the viewpoint at Graig Fawr.