Rochester River Walk
This lovely riverside walk takes you from Rochester to Aylesford along the River Medway. The route runs for a distance of about 9 miles, along a nice flat section of the Medway Valley Walk.
The walk starts at the impressive Rochester Castle, next to the river, in the fine Kent town. The castle sits on the eastern bank of the river and includes a noteworthy 12th-century keep, which is one of the best preserved in England or France. The site is run by English Heritage and includes extensive grounds and gardens. From the castle you head south west along the river, passing Baty's Marshes and then under the Medway Bridges which carry the M2 and the Eurostar railway from the Channel Tunnel to London.
You continue through Wouldham Marshes to the village of Wouldham where there are nice views over the river to Halling Common and salt marsh.
The next stage takes you towards Burham Marshes where you have the opportunity to take a detour from the route and visit the interesting Medway Megaliths. The ancient stones are located just to the east of Burham. This route continues south past Bushy Wood to the town of Aylesford. You could extend the walk by crossing the river here and heading up to Leybourne Lakes Country Park. There's miles of nice waterside trails to try here.
You can extend your walking in the Rochester area by heading to one of the nearby parks or nature reserves. Mote Park, Cliffe Pools Nature Reserve and the Riverside Country Park all have nice walking trails to try. You could also pick up the North Downs Way and head south to Blue Bell Hill where there are fine views over the Downs.
Rochester Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Rochester Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Rochester OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Rochester Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Rochester
- Medway Valley Walk - This is a lovely, easy riverside walk along the River Medway from Tonbridge to Rochester
- Medway Megaliths - This interesting walk visits the site of a number of Early Neolithic chambered long barrows and megalithic monuments located in the lower valley of the River Medway, near Chatham.
The circular walk starts from the car park at the Blue Bell Hill picnic site, just to the south of the village
- Leybourne Lakes Country Park - Enjoy peaceful, waterside walking and cycling at Leybourne Lakes Country Park, near Maidstone in Kent
- Mote Park - This 450 acre park in Maidstone has a lovely lakeside cycling and walking track running through it, using National Cycle Network number 177
- Cliffe Pools Nature Reserve - Enjoy a circular walk around this delightful RSPB nature reserve in the North Kent Marshes
- Riverside Country Park - Explore the Medway Estuary in 250 acres of country park in Gillingham, Kent
- Pilgrims Way - Follow the Pilgrims Way cycle route from Rochester to Canterbury, through the beautiful North Downs
- North Downs Way - This beautiful trail starts in Farnham, Surrey and heads east through the stunning North Downs to the historic city of Canterbury in Kent
- Blue Bell Hill - Visit the Blue Bell Hill viewpoint on this circular walk on the North Downs Way