Tonbridge Walks - River and Country
This long circular walk explores the parks, woods, commons, rivers and countryside surrounding the market town of Tonbridge in Kent. It makes use of three long distance waymarked trails to visit some of the highlights of the area.
The walk starts on the River Medway, next to Tonbridge Castle. The castle is one of England's finest examples of a Motte and Bailey Castle and includes a 13th Century Gatehouse. You can tour the castle and learn all about the fascinating history for a fee. The castle grounds are free to enter though.
From the castle you pick up the Eden Valley Walk and head west along the river to Barden Park where you will pass the pretty Barden Lake. There's a nice circular trail around the water here and an information board showing all the water loving wildlife you can see here. The path then continues past the lake into Haysden Country Park where there's another large lake and lots of wildfowl to look out for on the water. Here you have the option of continuing west and visiting the lovely Penshurst Place where there's lovely gardens, parkland and woodland to explore.
After visiting Haysden Lake the route then heads south along the Wealdway through Lower Haysden to Bidborough and Southborough Common. Here you'll pass through the common with its woodland trails and pretty streams.
The route then picks up a section of the Tunbridge Wells Circular Walk to take you east and then north through woodland and farmland. The path passes the Grade I listed Jacobean mansion of Somerhill House with its attractive grounds and lake. Other public footpaths then take you around the eastern side of the town before returning you to Tonbridge.
There's lots of good options for continuing your walking in the beautiful High Weald. One favourite is the Medway Valley Walk which starts at Tonbridge Castle and follows the river to Rochester.
PostcodeTN9 1BG - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Tonbridge Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Tonbridge Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Tonbridge OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Tonbridge Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Tonbridge
- Medway Valley Walk - This is a lovely, easy riverside walk along the River Medway from Tonbridge to Rochester
- Haysden Country Park - Haysden country park is located near Tonbridge in Kent and consists of a number of delightful walking trails
- Penshurst Place - This 3 mile circular walk takes you around the lovely Penhurst Estate near Tonbridge in Kent
- Eden Valley Walk - Travel through the beautiful Eden Valley and the High Weald on this 15 mile walk through Kent.
The route starts at Edenbridge and heads towards Hever and the excellent Hever Castle with its double-moated castle and 125 acres of spectacular gardens
- Wealdway - Follow the Wealdway from the River Thames at Gravesend to Eastbourne on the Sussex coast
- High Weald Landscape Trail - Explore the High Weald AONB on this fabulous 90 mile walk that links the ridge-top villages and historic gardens for which the area is famous
- Tunbridge Wells Circular Walk - Explore the beautiful countryside around Royal Tunbridge Wells on this circular walk through the High Weald AONB
- Southborough Common - Enjoy woodland trails, heathland and pretty streams in this area of common land near Tunbridge Wells and Tonbridge
- Barden Lake - Enjoy a nice easy stroll around this pretty lake in Tonbridge
- Tudeley Woods - This walk explores the Tudeley Woods RSPB Nature Reserve, near the village of Tudeley in Kent.
- Speldhurst - This Kent village is located just north west of Tunbridge Wells
Verdigris Tonbridge is in a fine location right next to the river. You can sit outside in the garden area and enjoy a meal with a view overlooking the water. It's a very sophicticated place with fine food and lovely artwork to enjoy. You can find them at postcode TN9 1DR for your sat navs.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
If were to continue west along the Eden Valley Walk you would soon come to the delightful village of Chiddingstone. This National Trust owned village includes a number of quaint timber framed Tudor buildings, a picturesque village pond, an ancient pub and the 15th century Chiddingstone Castle with its beautiful grounds and gardens. Hever Castle, another major local highlight is also located near here.