Sheriff Hutton Walks - Near and Around
This village is located in the Ryedale area of North Yorkshire. The village is close to the Howardian Hills and there's also a number of waymarked trails running through the attractive surrounding countryside. The historic settlement includes a photogenic ruined castle, a Grade I listed 12th century church and a fine country pub to relax in after your exercise.
This route from the village uses sections of the Foss Walk, the Ebor Way and the Centenary Way to create a circular walk around the settlement.
The walk starts at the remains of Sheriff Hutton castle on the southern side of the village. From here you can pick up the waymarked footpaths and follow them south to West Lilling and New Lane. You then turn north west along the Foss Walk to Sheriff Hutton Bridge where there are views of the old course of the River Foss. The trail heads north through farmland to Cornborough Manor where you turn east to follow the trail back to the village, via Mill Hill.
PostcodeYO60 6QZ - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Sheriff Hutton Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Sheriff Hutton Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Sheriff Hutton OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Sheriff Hutton Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Sheriff Hutton
- Foss Walk - Follow the River Foss, from the historic city of York to Easingwold, on this lovely riverside walk through Yorkshire
- Ebor Way - Follow the Ebor Way from Helmsley to Ilkley on this walk through Yorkshire
- Centenary Way Yorkshire - Explore the Howardian Hills and the Yorkshire Wolds on this splendid walk devised to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Yorkshire County Council
- Terrington - Terrington is a delightful village in the Howardian Hills near to Castle Howard
- Castle Howard - The 1000 acres of parkland and gardens surrounding this stately home is a walker's paradise
- Hovingham - This large village in Ryedale sits in an appealing location on the edge of the Howardian Hills
- Nunnington and the River Rye - This pretty village on the fringe of the Howardian Hills includes the National Trust owned Nunnington Hall and nice footpaths along the River Rye which runs through the village
- Helmsley Circular Walk - A lovely circular walk from Helmsley passing through Rye Dale and visiting the wonderful Rievaulx Abbey
- Helmsley to Rievaulx Abbey - This is a popular walk which takes you from the medieval Helmsley Castle to the fascinating ruins of Rievaulx Abbey
- Yearsley Woods - These expansive woods in the Howardian Hills have mountain bike trails and a series of footpaths to try
- Bishop Wilton - This pretty little village in the East Riding of Yorkshire is a pleasant place to start a walk into the Yorkshire Wolds
Back in the village head to The Highwayman for some post walk refreshment. They serve good quality dishes which you can enjoy in the lovely garden area. You can find them on The Square at postcode YO60 6QZ.
The country trails make for a fine dog walk and The Highwayman mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Head north and you can visit the delightful neighbouring village of Terrington. Near here there's also one of the major highlights of the area at Castle Howard.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Howardian Hills Walks page.