Stroud Canal Walk
The market town of Stroud has several long distance walking trails running through it and a number of woods, parks and hill climbs to try. As such it's a fantastic place for walkers and makes a great base for exploring this lovely area of the Cotswolds.
This route is a popular walk along the Stroudwater Canal to the village of King's Stanley using a section of the Cotswold Canals Walk and the Cotswold Way National Trail.
The walk starts in the centre of Stroud, near the train station. Here you can pick up the canal towpath and follow it west to Cainscross. The path continues to Ryeford where you head south on the Cotswold Way to King's Stanley. Here you can visit the 12th century parish church of St George before heading back to the town. You can extend the walk by continuing along the trail south to Middleyard where you will find Pen Hill and Pen Woods. Just to the east of King's Stanley you can enjoy more walking trails across Selsley Common with its variety of flora and fauna.
For nice circular walks near Stroud try the Slad Valley Walk or explore Rodborough Common, just to the south of the town.
Stroud Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Stroud Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Stroud OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Stroud Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Stroud
- Stroud Valleys Trail - This route runs from Stonehouse to Nailsworth following a disused railway line
- Selsley Common - This large open area near Stroud has miles of footpaths and wonderful panoramic views over the Cotswolds
- Slad Valley - This circular walk explores the area surrounding the Gloucestershire village of Slad near Stroud
- Painswick Beacon - Visit the delightful Cotswolds village of Painswick and climb the nearby Painswick Hill on this walk near Stroud
- Woodchester Park - This National Trust owned park in the Cotswolds is the perfect place for a peaceful afternoon stroll.
- Standish Wood - Enjoy peaceful woodland trails in this large area of woodland near Whiteshill, Stroud
- Cotswold Canals - Follow a series of delightful waterways from Framilode to Lechlade on this waterside walk through Gloucestershire.
The walk starts at Framilode, next to the River Severn and follows the Stroudwater Canal and the River Frome to the market town of Stroud
- Cotswold Way - This trail takes you through some of the most beautiful countryside in England
- Rodborough Common - Enjoy splendid views over the Severn Vale from this lovely open space near Stroud
- Minchinhampton Common - This large area of common land near Nailsworth is criss-crossed with miles of nice footpaths
The Old Fleece on the western side of Rodborough Common is located just to the south of the town near Rodborough Common. The pub is set in a 250 year-old former coaching inn and is walker friendly. There's also a nice outdoor terrace where you can relax during the warmer months. You can find it on Rooksmoor Hill at postcode GL5 5NB.
Also consider the Bell Inn in nearby Selsley. It's a pub of some note dating from the 16th Century and also grade two listed. The pub can now boast listings in The Good Food Guide, and The Good Pub Guide as well as 2AA rosettes for their food. In the summer months you can sit outside and enjoy fine views of the surrounding countryside. In the winter there's roaring log burners to warm you up after your chilly walk!