Tollard Royal Walks
This Wiltshire based village is in a nice location for exploring the woodland and countryside of the Cranborne Chase Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The historic settlement includes a pretty village pond, a 13th century church, the Grade II listed King John's House and some beautiful local pleasure gardens.
This walk from the village visits the lovely Larmer Tree Gardens, just to the south of the settlement. The beautiful gardens include some nice walkways with tea rooms, peacocks and a folly viewpoint to enjoy.
The walk then continues south to visit the neighbouring Dorset village of Farnham where there are many quaint thatched cottages to see.
PostcodeSP5 5PS - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Tollard Royal Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Tollard Royal Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Tollard Royal OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Tollard Royal Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Tollard Royal
- Win Green Hill - Climb to the highest point in the Cranborne Chase AONB and enjoy wonderful views over Shaftesbury, Salisbury Plain, Glastonbury Tor, the Mendips, the Quantocks, the Purbecks and the south coast
- Duncliffe Wood - Explore miles of cycling and walking trails in this large area of ancient woodland near Shaftesbury
- Fontmell and Melbury Downs - Enjoy a variety of beautiful flora and fauna in this nature reserve in Compton Abbas on the Dorset/Wiltshire border
- Wessex Ridgeway - This wonderful trail runs from Marlborough in Wiltshire to Lyme Regis on the Jurassic Coast in Dorset
- Shaftesbury - Enjoy a short walk around the Dorset town of Shaftesbury with a climb to Gold Hill, made famous from the Hovis adverts of the 1970s
- Wessex Ridgeway Trail - Follow the Wessex Ridgeway Trail and enjoy spectacular views of the Dorset countryside on this shared walking and cycling path.
The trail begins at Tollard Royal in Wiltshire and heads to Hambledon Hill passing through Ashmore Wood and crossing the River Iwerne on the way
Back in the village The King John Inn is a fine place for some post walk refreshments. They serve high quality food which you can enjoy in the lovely Victorian tiered garden.
The public country footpaths make for a fine dog walk. You could also head west along the Wessex Ridgeway to visit Ashmore Wood where there are some good dog walking trails. To the north east there's Chase Woods to explore.
Please note dogs are not allowed inside Larmer Gardens but there are public footpaths around the grounds. The King John mentioned above is dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
To continue your walking in the area pick up the Wessex Ridgeway and follow it north to Win Green Hill. The hill is the high point in the Cranborne Chase AONB and provides excellent views to Shaftesbury, Salisbury Plain, Glastonbury Tor, the Mendips, the Quantocks, the Purbecks and the south coast. Just to the west of the hill you will find Fontmell and Melbury Downs nature reserve where there's fine views and interesting flora and fauna.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Cranborne Chase Walks page.