This pretty Peak District village is in a fine location for exploring the mills and caves of the River Manifold Valley and the White Peak .
This circular walk from the village visits the historic Wetton Mill and the fascinating Thor's Cave before climbing to Wetton Hill for some great views.
The walk starts in the village and follow footpaths west past Hallfields farm to the Thors Cave. Inside the cave you can enjoy the fascinating rock formations and mineral colours. There are great views of the Manifold Valley through the cave entrance. Here you can also pick up the Manifold Way and follow the waymarked footpath north along the River Manifold to visit Wetton Mill. Here you can stop off for some refreshments at the tea room which is located in one of the former grist buildings.
The route then heads north east along a track to Hillside Farm before heading south past Wetton Hill. There's splendid views over the surrounding countryside to enjoy from here. You can descend back to the village from here.
PostcodeDE6 2AF - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Wetton Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Wetton Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Wetton OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Wetton Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Wetton
- Manifold Way - Follow the River Manifold and the River Hamps through the Manifold Valley on this splendid shared walking and cycling path through the Peak District
- Thor's Cave - This walk takes you to the stunning natural cavern of Thor's Cave in the Manifold Valley area of the Peak District
- Ashbourne - The Derbyshire Dales town of Ashbourne is a fantastic base for walkers looking to explore the southern end of the Peak District
- Wolfscote Dale - This walk visits Wolfscote Dale in the Dove Dale area of the Peak District
- Biggin Dale - This walk explores the beautiful Biggin Dale National Nature Reserve in the Peak District
- Dovedale - The beautiful Dovedale is one of the must see areas in the Peak District
- Ilam Park - Ilam Country Park is a delightful open space owned by the National Trust
- Alstonefield - This walk takes you from the Staffordshire village of Astonefield to Dovedale in the Peak District.
Back in the village head to the Royal Oak for some post walk refreshment. The mid 18th century pub serves lovely homemade dishes which you can enjoy in the nice garden area. You can find them at postcode DE6 2AF.
The woodland, river valley and hills are ideal for dog walking. The Royal Oak mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Head a few miles to the south east and you can visit one of the area's major highlights at the popular Dovedale. Here you will find a lovely walking path along the River Dove to the famous stepping stones.
For more walking ideas in the area see the White Peak Walks page.