The Derbyshire Dales town of Ashbourne is a fantastic base for walkers looking to explore the southern end of the Peak District. Several long distance walking trails pass through the town and surrounding area. The beautiful valleys of the River Dove and River Manifold are also nearby.
This walk takes you along the Bonnie Prince Charlie Walk to the delightful village of Osmaston and the adjacent Osmaston Park. Here you'll find pretty lakes and nice woodland trails through Shirley Park. The route loops through the park, crossing the lake and following the wooded paths before returning to Ashbourne on the same path.
You can extend the walk by continuing south along the Bonnie Prince Charlie Walk to Shirley and Longford.
Just after passing Shirley the Centenary Way long distance trail branches off to the east. You could follow it through the countryside to Ednaston and Brailsford.
The Tissington Trail, shared walkng and cycling path runs north from the town. You can follow this into the Peak District and visit the beautiful Dovedale and and Ilam Park.
Ashbourne Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Ashbourne Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Ashbourne OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Ashbourne Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Ashbourne
- Carsington Water - This route follows the circular cycling and walking trail around Carsington Water in Ashbourne, Derbyshire
- Ilam Park - Ilam Country Park is a delightful open space owned by the National Trust
- Royal Shrovetide Football Challenge - This walk celebrates the Royal Shrovetide Football Match which occurs annually on Shrove Tuesday in the town of Ashbourne
- Thorpe Cloud - This short walk climbs to the top of Thorpe Cloud in the Peak District
- Tissington Trail - The Tissington trail is a 13 mile off road path following the trackbed of a disused railway line through the stunning Peak District National Park.
The trail is shared by walkers and cyclists offering fabulous views of the Derbyshire countryside
- Limestone Way - Travel through the beautiful Peak District National Park on this walk through Derbyshire and into Staffordshire.
The walk starts at Castleton, passing through the scenic Cave Dale and past the remains of Peverill Castle
- Bonnie Prince Charlie Walk - Follow in the footsteps of Bonnie Prince Charlie on this walk which traces the route of his march from Ashbourne to Derby in 1745
- Centenary Way - Follow the Centenary Way from Ilkeston to Ashbourne on this 25 mile walk through the Derbyshire countryside
- Dovedale - The beautiful Dovedale is one of the must see areas in the Peak District
- Sudbury Hall - This wonderful 17th century mansion in Derbyshire boasts a superb Great Staircase, fine Long Gallery,exquisite plasterwork, wood carvings, classical story-based murals and portraits by John Michael Wright, and of Charles II's mistresses
- Ashbourne to Dovedale Circular Walk - This circular walk takes you from the popular town of Ashbourne to the beautiful Dovedale in the Peak District
The George and Dragon is a good choice for some post walk refreshments. They do great food and also have a lovely beer garden to relax in on warmer days. It's situated on the market place in the town at a postcode of DE6 1EU for your sat navs. The pub is also dog friendly if you have your pet with you.