This attractive Derbyshire village is located just to the south of Chesterfield.
This walk in the village visits two pretty bodies of water in the area. You start off at the Wingerworth Lido where there's a short circular footpath around the water. The route then heads north west following Birkin Lane and Pearce Lane to The Great Pond of Stubbing. There's footpaths running around the large pond with woodland trails and lots of wildlife to see. On the way you'll also pass the village's Garden centre which is worth popping into.
After exploring the pond the route then heads east back to the Lido.
PostcodeS42 6LN - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Wingerworth Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Wingerworth Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Wingerworth OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Wingerworth Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Wingerworth
- Grassmoor Country Park - Enjoy meadows and lagoons in this pretty country park near Chesterfield
- Chesterfield Canal - A waterside walk along the Chesterfield Canal from Chesterfield to Staveley.
The walk starts from the train station where you can pick up a section of the Cuckoo Way to take you north along the River Rother
- Cuckoo Way - This walk follows the Chesterfield Canal through Nottinghamshire, South Yorkshire and Derbyshire from Chesterfield to West Stockwith
- Five Pits Trail - This is a super off road cycling and walking trail running from Grassmoor Country Park to Tibshelf
- Linacre Reservoirs - Enjoy cycling and walking trails around these three pretty reservoirs near Chesterfield
- Alfreton - The town of Alfreton is located in the Amber Valley district of Derbyshire
- Ashover - This circular walk around Ashover explores the countryside around the village
- Ogston Reservoir - This beautiful reservoir near the Derbyshire village of Brackenfield is one of Derbyshire's premier bird watching sites
- Carsington Water - This route follows the circular cycling and walking trail around Carsington Water in Ashbourne, Derbyshire
- Matlock - The county town of Matlock is a great base for exploring the south eastern edge of the Peak District
- Hardwick Hall Derbyshire - This wonderful National Trust owned estate has miles of splendid walking trails to follow
- Pleasley Pit Country Park - This former colliery site in Mansfield has been converted into a lovely country park and local nature reserve
The Smithy Pond pub overlooks the lido and is a nice place for some post walk refreshment. They serve good value meals which you can enjoy outside with a view of the ducks/swans on the water. You can find them at Nethermoor Rd, S42 6LN.
The lakeside paths and the woodland trails around Stubbing make for a pleasant dog walk. The Smithy Pond mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Just to the east you can continue your walking around Grassmoor Country Park where there's woodland trails and lots of pretty lakes to see. You can also pick up the Five Pits Trail here and follow it east to the Williamsthorpe Ponds Nature Reserve.
Head north into Chesterfield and you can enjoy more waterside walking along the Chesterfield Canal and the Cuckoo Way.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Derbyshire Walks page.