This Lancashire based town has some nice canalside trails and a nature trail in nearby Woodnook. It's also close to the Ribble Valley and the West Pennine Moors where many of the walking highlights of the area can be found.
This walk from the town takes you along the Leeds and Liverpool Canal to the neighbouring town of Blackburn.
The walk starts at the train station and heads west towards Oswaldtwistle and Cote Holme. The route then picks up the canal towpath and follows it through Rishton where you will pass the Rishton Reservoir. You continue west through Whitebirk before coming into Blackburn and finishing at the cathedral in the town centre.
Accrington Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Accrington Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Accrington OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Accrington Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Accrington
- Hyndburn Clog - A circular walk around Blackburn and Accrington in Lancashire, visiting a series of reservoirs and the Leeds and Liverpool Canal.
- Calf Hey Reservoir - The attractive area of Haslingden Grane includes some nice walking trails around Calf Hey Reservoir and through the adjacent woodland
- Blackburn - This Lancashire town has some nice canal trails, a local country park, several reservoirs and a significant hill to visit.
- Darwen Tower - This circular walk takes you up Darwen Hill to Jubilee Tower from Tockholes in Lancashire
- Roddlesworth Reservoir - Enjoy a circular walk around these pretty reservoirs near Darwen in Lancashire
- Haslingden - This walk climbs to an interesting art structure and viewpoint in Haslingden, Lancashire
- Sunnyhurst Woods - Explores 85 acres of woodland on this circular walk through Sunnyhurst Woods in Darwen
- Witton Country Park - This country park in Blackburn boasts nearly 500 acres of mixed woodland, parkland, grassland and farmland.
- Witton Weavers Way - This circular walk starts and finishes in Witton Park near Blackburn
- Bold Venture Park Darwen - This large park in Darwen is great for an easy afternoon stroll
- Tockholes - This area in the West Pennine Moors is a popular place for walkers with woodland trails, reservoirs and a fantastic hill climbs to try.
- Rossendale Way - This circular walk takes you on a tour of the lovely Rossendale area of Lancashire and Greater Manchester.
The path passes Haslingden, Rawtenstall, Whitworth, Stubbins and Healey with a series of attractive reservoirs including Cowpe and Calf Hey real highlights
- Fishmoor Reservoir - This reservoir in Blackburn is a nice place for an easy stroll in the town.
- Oswaldtwistle - This Lancashire based town is located between Accrington and Blackburn in the Hyndburn borough of the county.
- Haslingden Grane - This area of moorland in Rossendale includes several historic ruined farmhouses and a series of picturesque reservoirs.
- Great Hill - This circular walk climbs to Great Hill near Blackburn in Lancashire.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
A few miles south of the town you could pay a visit to Calf Hey Reservoir and Ogden Reservoir where there's some nice waterside trails to try. You can also pick up the long distance Rossendale Way in this area.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Lancashire Walks and the West Pennine Moors Walks pages.