This Devon based town is located in a good spot close to the Dartmoor National Park and the River Teign Valley.
This circular walk from the town visits Chudleigh Rocks, Ugbrooke Park and the Castle Dyke Iron Age Hillfort.
The walk starts on the south west of the town where you'll find Chudleigh Rocks and Caves. A small part of the cave is open to the public as a show cave. The remains of the old Bishop's Palace can also be found in this area.
The route then follows footpaths south past Lawell House and Winstow Cottages before following a country lane east along the edge of the Ugbrooke Estate. The gardens and grounds at the house are generally open to visitors during the summer season. Near here there's the Castle Dyke Hillfort. The fort is situated on a Hilltop at approx 140 metres above sea level, the south east of the town.
The route then turns west back through the town, crossing the Kate Brook on the way.
PostcodeTQ13 OHX - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Chudleigh Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Chudleigh Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Chudleigh OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Chudleigh Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Chudleigh
- Stover Country Park - Explore over 114 acres of woodland, heathland, grassland and lakes on this circular walk through the peaceful Stover Country Park, near Newton Abbot in Devon
- Newton Abbot - This attractive market town has a number of good options for walkers
- Stover Canal - Follow the Stover Canal from Newton Abbot to Teigngrace on this short walk in South Devon
- Templer Way - Follow the Templer Way from Haytor on Dartmoor to the seaport of Teignmouth via Newton Abbot
- Decoy Country Park - This is a short walk around the delightful Decoy Country Park in Newton Abbot, Devon
- River Teign Walk - This walk explores the beautiful Teign Valley, following the River Teign from its source on Dartmoor to Shaldon on the Devon coast
- Ideford Common - This area of common land near Newton Abbot has some nice footpaths to try
- Canonteign Falls - This country park in Dartmoor consists of woodland trails, beautiful lakes and the stunning Canonteign Falls
- Lustleigh Cleave - The village of Lustleigh is in a nice position for exploring a lovely part of the Dartmoor National Park
- Kennick Reservoir - This walk visits Kennick Reservoir and its surrounding woodlands, in the Dartmoor National Park
- Trenchford and Tottiford Reservoir - Enjoy an easy walk around these two pretty reservoirs in the Dartmoor National Park
Head to The Phoenix for some post walk refreshments. The gastro pub does high quality food and can be found at 25 Fore Street, TQ13 OHX.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Just to the south west you can visit one of the highlights of the area at Stover Country Park. There's lots of footpaths here taking you to woodland, heathland, grassland and lakes. You can also pick up the Stover Canal and follow it to nearby Newton Abbot.
Just to the east there's some nice trails on Ideford Common or you could pick up the River Teign Walk near the town.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Dartmoor Walks and the Devon Walks pages.