The Northumberland town of Cramlington is located just to the north of Newcastle upon Tyne on the border between Northumberland and North Tyneside. The town has a few nice country parks and woodland areas to visit in the locality.
This circular walk visits Plessey Woods Country Park to the north of the town.
The route starts at the visitor centre and car park where you can pick up trails heading south through the park and the woods. You then head west along the River Blyth through Stannington Vale. The area is great for wildlife watching with a variety of woodland birds to look out for on the way.
Cramlington Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Cramlington Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Cramlington OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Cramlington Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Cramlington
- Plessey Woods Country Park - This pretty country park is situated on the River Blyth at Hartford Bridge, 5 miles south of Morpeth and north of Cramlington
- Bedlington Country Park - Enjoy nice woodland trails along the River Blyth in this country park in Bedlington, Northumberland.
The walk starts from the main car park at Bedlington Bridge
- Humford Woods - These woods in Bedlington have nice trails to follow along the River Blyth
- Morpeth - Enjoy nice trails along the Wansbeck River in the historic market town of Morpeth in Northumberland
- Wansbeck Riverside Country Park - Enjoy 275 acres of riverside parkland in this delightful country park near Ashington
- Shaftoe Crags - Climb to Shaftoe Crags and enjoy far ranging views over the Northumberland countryside on this circular walk near Morpeth
- Bolam Lake Country Park - Enjoy peaceful lakeside walking and cycling in this delightful country park in Northumberland
- Wallington Hall - Explore the Wallington estate on this walk in Northumberland
- Hartburn Glebe - Explore these pretty little woods in the village of Hartburn on this short walk in Northumberland
- Northumberlandia - This interesting country park is located just to the west of the town of Cramlington in Northumberland.
There is a decent cafe in Plessey Woods where you can stop off for refreshments on the walk.
The woodland paths on the route are ideal for dog walking.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
To continue your walking in the area head east towards Bedlington where you can visit Bedlington Country Park and Humford Woods. Here you'll find the old Humford Mill and more riverside paths along the Blyth into the coastal town of Blyth.
To the south west of the town is the village of Brunswick where you'll find the Big Waters Nature Reserve. There's some nice trails here including a raised boardwalk taking you to hides, pond and a feeding station. There's also the largest subsidence pond (one of the largest bodies of open water in the region), providing home to diverse wildlife.
Just to the west of the town is another of the highlights of the area at Northumberlandia. Here you'll find a huge land sculpture in the shape of a reclining female figure, known as the Lady of the North. There's some nice trails to follow around the park which also includes a visitor centre.
For more walks in the county see the Northumberland Walks page.