Around Morpeth Walk
Enjoy nice trails along the Wansbeck River in the historic market town of Morpeth in Northumberland. The attractive town includes a number of fine Georgian buildings and a lovely riverside park.
This circular walk starts in the delightful Carlisle park where there's nice views of the river and the Grade I listed Morpeth Castle. You then head towards Bothal on a mixture of riverside trails and woodland valley paths. There's trails on either side of the river with the route eventually returning to Carlisle Park. From the park you can continue west along the river and then cross the bridge leading to the town. Here you can visit Morpeth Clock Tower, one of the town's most well know landmarks. It was constructed sometime between 1604 and 1634 out of recycled Medieval stone giving it its much older appearance.
You should also visit the Morpeth Chantry, a 13th-century chapel that now houses the town's tourist information centre and the Morpeth Chantry Bagpipe Museum.
To extend the walk continue east towards Ashington and visit the lovely Wansbeck Riverside Country Park. Here you'll find 275 acres of riverside parkland with peaceful woodland trails.
Also near Morpeth is the climb to Shaftoe Crags where you can enjoy interesting rock formations and fine views over the Northumberland countryside.
PostcodeNE61 1YD - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Morpeth Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Morpeth Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Morpeth OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Morpeth Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Morpeth
- Plessey Woods Country Park - This pretty country park is situated on the River Blyth at Hartford Bridge, 5 miles south of Morpeth and north of Cramlington
- Humford Woods - These woods in Bedlington have nice trails to follow along the River Blyth
- Bedlington Country Park - Enjoy nice woodland trails along the River Blyth in this country park in Bedlington, Northumberland
- Wansbeck Riverside Country Park - Enjoy 275 acres of riverside parkland in this delightful country park near Ashington
- Shaftoe Crags - Climb to Shaftoe Crags and enjoy far ranging views over the Northumberland countryside on this circular walk near Morpeth
- Bolam Lake Country Park - Enjoy peaceful lakeside walking and cycling in this delightful country park in Northumberland
- Wallington Hall - Explore the Wallington estate on this walk in Northumberland
- Hartburn Glebe - Explore these pretty little woods in the village of Hartburn on this short walk in Northumberland
- Mitford - A short circular walk around the Northumberland village of Mitford visiting the remains of the old castle.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Just to the west of the town there's the interesting village of Mitford to explore. Here you can visit the atmospheric ruins of the 11 century castle and enjoy more riverside trails.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Northumberland Walks page.