The Lincolnshire town of Grantham has some delightful waterside walks along the canal and the River Witham. The other major walking highlight is the beautiful Belton House, just to the north of the town. The National Trust owned site includes a series of nice footpaths taking you to an Orangery, an Italian garden with fountains, a maze, a deer park and several delightful lakes and ponds.
This is a popular stroll taking you along the Grantham Canal to the nearby village of Denton. Here you can enjoy more waterside paths along Denton Reservoir before visiting the village and enjoying refreshments at one of the pubs or cafes.
Just to the west of Denton you can pick up the Viking Way long distance trail. It's a great way of exploring the area to the west of the town. If you pick up the waymarked path and head west it will take you to Woolsthorpe by Belvoir and Belvoir Castle. The expansive Belvoir estate is great for walkers with miles of trails including the Jubilee Way which starts in Woolsthorpe.
Grantham Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Grantham Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Grantham OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Grantham Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Grantham
- Belton House - Explore the stunning grounds of this 17th century mansion in Lincolnshire on this easy circular walk
- Viking Way - Follow in the footsteps of the Norse invaders on this long distance walk from the Humber Bridge to Oakham in Rutland
- Grantham Canal - A lovely peaceful walk alongside the Grantham Canal from Grantham to Nottingham
- Denton Reservoir - This walk near Grantham takes you from the village of Denton to Denton Reservoir
- Woolsthorpe by Belvoir and Belvoir Castle - The pretty Lincolnshire village of Woolsthorpe by Belvoir is a splendid place for walking
- Jubilee Way - Follow the Jubilee Way from Old Sodbury to the Severn Bridge on this delightful walk.
- Twyford Wood - This wood near Grantham has miles of footpaths taking you to conifer woodland, grassland and the lovely Twyford Wood butterfly glades
- Culverthorpe - This circular walk visits Culverthorpe Hall near Grantham in Lincolnshire.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
For more walking ideas in the area see the Lincolnshire Walks page.