Follow in the footsteps of the Norse invaders on this long distance walk from the Humber Bridge to Oakham in Rutland. The walk passes through the Lincolnshire Wolds AONB and some delightful Leicestershire countryside before rounding Rutland water to the finish point at Oakham. Walk highlights include
- Views of the Humber Estuary and the Humber Bridge at the start of the route.
- The interesting former Roman towns of Caistor and Horncastle where you can still see the remains of the Roman Walls and other interesting landmarks.
- The River Bain and the delightul Pinewoods in Woodhall Spa.
- A lovely waterside section along the River Witham into Lincoln
- The city of Lincoln with its magnificent cathedral (video below)
- A section along the Grantham Canal near Woolsthorpe by Belvoir and Belvoir Castle
- The final section along the beautiful Rutland Water in Rutland
Viking Way Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Viking Way Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Viking Way OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Viking Way Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Viking Way Pubs/Cafes
The Harbour Cafe is in a lovely spot overlooking Whitwell Harbour on Rutland Water. It's a great place to stop on the route and rest your legs. The cafe is open 7 days a week from March until November then they open Friday, Saturday and Sunday through the Winter. They offer a wide variety of, cooked breakfasts, home cooked lunches, snacks, great coffee and cakes in a relaxed family friendly environment. There's a great outdoor seating area with fine views of the water. You can find the cafe on Bull Brigg Lane with a postcode of LE15 8BL for your sat navs.