Follow in the footsteps of the Norse invaders on this long distance walk from the Humber Bridge to Oakham in Rutland. The walk passes through the Lincolnshire Wolds AONB and some delightful Leicestershire countryside before rounding Rutland water to the finish point at Oakham. Walk highlights include
- Views of the Humber Estuary and the Humber Bridge at the start of the route.
- The interesting former Roman towns of Caistor and Horncastle where you can still see the remains of the Roman Walls and other interesting landmarks.
- The River Bain and the delightul Pinewoods in Woodhall Spa.
- A lovely waterside section along the River Witham into Lincoln
- The city of Lincoln with its magnificent cathedral (video below)
- A section along the Grantham Canal near Woolsthorpe by Belvoir and Belvoir Castle
- The final section along the beautiful Rutland Water in Rutland. You'll finish in the medieval market town of Oakham where there's some wonderful old architecture at the Norman castle and the 16th century Oakham School.
Viking Way Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Viking Way Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Viking Way OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Viking Way Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Viking Way Pubs/Cafes
The Harbour Cafe is in a lovely spot overlooking Whitwell Harbour on Rutland Water. It's a great place to stop on the route and rest your legs. The cafe is open 7 days a week from March until November then they open Friday, Saturday and Sunday through the Winter. They offer a wide variety of, cooked breakfasts, home cooked lunches, snacks, great coffee and cakes in a relaxed family friendly environment. There's a great outdoor seating area with fine views of the water. You can find the cafe on Bull Brigg Lane with a postcode of LE15 8BL for your sat navs.
In the Lincolnshire Wolds be sure to pay a visit to the King's Head in the historic village of Tealby. Dating from 1367 the inn is notable as the oldest thatched pub in Lincolnshire. Inside there's a charming interior with a cosy lounge and a restaurant. Outside there's a lovely large garden area to relax in on warmer days. You can find them at 11 Kingsway with a postcode of LN8 3YA for your sat navs. The pub is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
For extra walking around the trail you could try the Viking Way Circular Walk at Woodhall Spa. This route uses a section of the Viking Way and the Water Rail Way to create a circular walk around the Lincolnshire Wolds town. It takes you through the countryside before a nice waterside section along the River Witham.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Lincolnshire Walks page.