Hollingbourne Circular Walk
This attractive Kent based village has some fine trails through the North Downs to try. It's also a historic place with over a hundred listed buildings including some fine timber framed structures on Eyhorne Street and the noteworthy All Saints Church which dates from the 14th century.
This route makes use of the North Downs Way, the Pilgrims Way and other local footpaths to create a circular walk around the village.
The walk starts in the village where you can pick up the North Downs Way and follow the waymarked trail south east. You then pick up a bridleway heading north east to High Wood and Salisbury Wood. Follow Drake Lane to Gotteridge and Mordenden Wood before heading west to Stockbury Wood and Chitt's Wood. Here you follow woodland trails south to meet up with the North Downs Way around Eden's Hole. You can follow the trail back south east to return to Hollingbourne.
Extend the walk by heading south from the village to visit one of the highlights of the area at Leeds Castle.
PostcodeME17 1UW - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Hollingbourne Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Hollingbourne Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Hollingbourne OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Hollingbourne Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Hollingbourne
- North Downs Way - This beautiful trail starts in Farnham, Surrey and heads east through the stunning North Downs to the historic city of Canterbury in Kent
- Pilgrims Way - Follow in the footsteps of the pilgrims who followed this ancient track from Winchester in Hampshire, to the shrine of Thomas Becket at Canterbury in Kent
- Leeds Castle Maidstone - Explore the stunning grounds of this 19th century castle and former residence of Catherine of Aragon. There are 500 acres of beautiful parkland, open water and formal gardens to explore on well laid out walking paths
- Maidstone River Walk - A nice riverside walk along the Medway from Maidstone to Leybourne Lakes Country Park
- Medway Valley Walk - This is a lovely, easy riverside walk along the River Medway from Tonbridge to Rochester
- Leybourne Lakes Country Park - Enjoy peaceful, waterside walking and cycling at Leybourne Lakes Country Park, near Maidstone in Kent
- Milton Creek Country Park - A short circular cycle or walk around Milton Creek Country Park in Sittingbourne in Kent
- Boxley - This little Kent based village is a pleasant place to start a walk
- Swale Heritage Trail - Travel through Kent along the Swale Heritage Trail from Murston to Goodnestone
- Conyer - This little Kent based village has some nice waterside walks along the Conyer Creek and the Swale River.
- Bearsted - This attractive Kent based village has a pretty village green, a local community run woodland park and easy access to the footpaths on the North Downs.
Back in the village head to the splendidly named Dirty Habit for some post walk refreshments. It's a pub of some note with a history dating back to the 11th century when it began life as a monk’s ale and cider house. The pilgrims who passed on their way to Canterbury would refresh themselves and perhaps stay the night. It is also said that James II stayed here whilst escaping the country to France. They serve high quality dishes and have a lovely garden area to sit out in on warmer days. You can find them on Upper Street at postcode ME17 1UW.
The country and woodland trails make for a fine dog walk. The Dirty Habit mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Head north and you could visit Sittingbourne and enjoy a riverside walk along the Swale Heritage Trail to Conyer.
For more walking ideas in the area see the North Downs Walks and the Kent Walks pages.