Lavenham Railway and Woods Walk
This pretty Suffolk village has lots of good options for walkers wishing to explore the area. The picturesque village includes a 15th-century church, the 13th-century Lavenham Priory and several half-timbered medieval cottages.
This walk uses a section of the St Edmund Way long distance trail to take you through the village and then into the countryside along a disused railway line. You can use the trail to create a shorter circular walk by turning left at Park Road and continuing back into the village if you wish.
The walk starts in the village centre and picks up the St Edmund Way to take you up to the railway line. Follow the trail west to Lineage Wood before skirting the edge of Kentwell Hall. Here you will find a 16th century stately home surrounded by beautiful gardens.
At Kentwell Park you turn south to Melford Hall where the walk finishes. The hall includes beautiful landscaped gardens, a croquet lawn and the impressive 15th-century Holy Trinity church. Around here you can pick up the Stour Valley Path to extend your walk.
Lavenham Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Lavenham Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Lavenham OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Lavenham Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Lavenham
- St Edmund Way - A walk through Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk from Manningtree to Brandon
- Melford Hall - Enjoy a walk around the beautiful grounds of Melford Hall in Suffolk
- Kentwell Hall Long Melford - Enjoy a stroll through the beautiful grounds of this 16th century stately home in Long Melford, Suffolk
- Stour Valley Path - Follow the River Stour from Newmarket to Cattawade on this delightful walk through East Anglia
- Bradfield Woods - This National Nature Reserve near Clare Castle Country Park - This pretty country park is situated on the River Stour in the Suffolk town of Clare
- Bury to Clare Walk - Follow the Bury to Clare Walk from Bury St Edmunds to Clare on this walk through Suffolk
- Ickworth Park - A circular walk around the parks and gardens at Ickworth in Bury St Edmunds
- Nowton Park - Explore 200 acres of beautiful Suffolk countryside landscaped in a beautiful Victorian style in this country park in Bury St Edmunds