This attractive market town is located in the Leeds area of West Yorkshire. There's some good countryside and woodland trails along the Pudsey Beck to try in the area. The town also includes the lovely Pudsey Park, one of the most popular parks in West Yorkshire.
This walk explores the countryside around the town, following the pretty Pudsey Beck to Troydale and the viewpoint at Post Hill to the east of the settlement.
The walk starts on the western side of the town in Westroyd Hill. Here you can pick up the waymarked Leeds Country Way and follow the waymarked footpath along the Tyersal Beck passing Black Carr and Bankhouse Bottom before coming to the Pudsey Beck.
You then follow the beck east through woodland to Roker Lane Bottom, passing the old ruined mills on the way. Here you turn north to explore the woodland at Troy Dale before climbing to Post Hill where the route finishes. The hill is a pleasant nature area where you can enjoy fine views over the area from the summit. The area is great for flora and fauna with wildlife such as great spotted woodpecker and tawny owl to look out for.
Pudsey Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Pudsey Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Pudsey OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Pudsey Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Pudsey
- Leeds Country Way - A super circular walk through the countryside surrounding this major Yorkshire city
- Leeds and Liverpool Canal - Enjoy waterside cycling and walking along Britain's longest single canal
- Leeds Canal Walk - Enjoy a stroll from Leeds city centre to Kirkstall and Shipley on this waterside walk along the Leeds & Liverpool Canal
- Leeds to Shipley -
- Roundhay Park - Explore 700 acres of parkland, lakes, woodland and gardens in one of the largest parks Britain
- Dales Way - This wonderful walk takes you through the fabulous Yorkshire Dales and on into Cumbria and the spectacular Lake District
- Trans Pennine Trail - This terrific walking and cycling trail runs from coast to coast across northern England entirely on surfaced paths
- Aire Valley Towpath - Follow the Leeds & Liverpool Canal and the River Aire from Leeds to Bingley on this waterside cycle or walk
- Calverley Woods - These woods in Leeds have walking trails and cycling trails suitable for mountain bikes
- Saltaire - This Victorian model village and UNESCO World Heritage Site is one of the highlights of the Bradford area
- Kirkstall Abbey - This walk explores the ruins of a former Cistercian monastery on the River Aire in Leeds.
- Garforth - This Leeds based town is located to the east of the city
- Woodlesford Lock to Leeds Canal Walk - This walk takes you from the pretty Woodlesford Lock into Leeds city centre, along the Aire and Calder Navigation Canal
- Oakwell Country Park - Explore over 100 acres of parkland on this short walk in Bradford
- Morley - This West Yorkshire town is located close to Leeds and Wakefield
The Fleece is a fine choice for some post walk refreshment in the town. The noteworthy pub was named pub of the year in 2018 by Leeds CAMRA. They have a fine selection of ales and a beautiful garden area for summer days. It's well laid out with lawns, decking and attractive garden borders, complete with a gnome guarded fish pond. You can find them at 100 Fartown with a postcode of LS28 8LU for your sat navs.
The woods and country trails on the route make for an ideal dog walk. The Fleece mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Head into Leeds and you can pick up the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, Leeds Canal Walk and Leeds to Shipley Walk. There's also the popular Roundhay Park with its walking and cycling trails to explore. You can also pick up the epic Dales Way and Trans Pennine Trail in the city.