Reeth River Walk
Explore beautiful Swaledale on this riverside circular walk in Reeth. There's lovely footpaths to follow along both sides of the river with fantastic views of the surrounding Yorkshire Dales scenery.
Highlights on the route include the swing bridge near Reeth, some attractive woodland and the lovely, peaceful river banks.
Back in the village you can enjoy refreshments at one of the nice pubs and visit the interesting Swaledale Museum. It covers rural history including life and work in the local area of Swaledale and Arkengarthdale.
The long distance Coast to Coast walk passes the village. You could extend your walking by following it north west across Reeth Low Moor. Heading east will take you to Marrick and Maske.
Just to the west of the village you can enjoy a walk around Gunnerside Gill. It's a beautiful valley with imposing scars, woodland, waterfalls and the pretty Gunnerside Beck running through the centre.
If you were to head east you could visit the popular town of Richmond. There's more riverside trails here with a visit to Richmond Castle and Richmond Falls to enjoy.
The Herriot Way also passes through the village. You can pick it up and follow it south west across Harkerside Moor to Castle Bolton. There's some lovely heather moorland scenery to enjoy on this literary route.
Reeth Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Reeth Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Reeth OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Reeth Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Reeth
- Fremington Edge - This elevated ridge in Swaledale is a popular place for walkers
- Gunnerside Gill - This circular walk in Swaledale takes you through the lovely Gunnerside Gill
- Richmond North Yorkshire - This interesting North Yorkshire town has some lovely riverside trails along the River Swale and two fine long distance trails to try
- Herriot Way - This long distance circular route takes you through areas of the Yorkshire Dales associated with the vet and author James Herriot.
The walk begins in the pretty village of Aysgarth in Wensleydale
- Arkengarthdale - This walk explores lovely Arkengarthdale, the northernmost of the Yorkshire Dales
- Keld - This attractive village makes a fine base for exploring the Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Kisdon Force - This walk visits the stunning Kisdon Force, East Gill and Catrake Force waterfalls in the Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Gilling West - This attractive North Yorkshire village includes a historic high street with a number of significant buildings
- Keld to Ravenseat - This walk takes you from the village of Keld to the lovely viewpoint, old bridge and waterfall at Ravenseat in the Yorkshire Dales.
- Wainwright's Coast to Coast - Travel from the west coast of England to the east along this breathtaking route devised by Alfred Wainwright.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Just to the north you can pick up the Arkengarthdale Walk and enjoy a walk along the Arckle Beck to Whaw.
Not far to the west there's the noteworthy Gunnerside Gill in beautiful Swaledale. In this area there's also the popular Keld Circular Waterfall Walk which visits a series of pretty falls including Kisdon Force.
The circular Fremington Edge Walk starts from the village and is a real highlight of the area. The elevated ridge walk provides some wonderful views over the area and can be found less than a mile east of the village.
To the south you can pick up the circular Grinton Walk which starts from the neighbouring village. The route visits the historic Marrick Priory, the elevated Cogden Moor and the pretty Cogden Gill.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Yorkshire Dales Walks page.