Gilling West Walks
This attractive North Yorkshire village includes a historic high street with a number of significant buildings. Things to look out for include the Grade I listed 11th century church and the Grade II listed Gilling Lodge.
For walkers there's some fine Yorkshire Dales countryside and woodland to explore. This circular walk explores the countryside to the south of the village, visiting Aske Hall and the town of Richmond.
The walk starts in the village and follows footpaths and bridleways south to Aske Hall. A public footpaths runs past the Georgian House with its Capability Brown gardens. The Grade I listed building is open to the public for guided tours as part of the Heritage Open Day event in September each year. Click here for more information.
You continue south past the golf course at Bend Hagg before coming into Richmond. Stroll south through the town and you will soon come to the historic Richmond Castle.
The route takes you along the River Swale towards Richmond Bridge before turning north Hurgill. You then head through the countryside to Beacon Hill and Coalsgarth Edge before turning north east to Gilling Wood. You then turn east passing the edge of Hartforth Wood before returning to the village.
PostcodeDL10 5JG - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Gilling West Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Gilling West Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Gilling West OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Gilling West Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Gilling West
- Richmond North Yorkshire - This interesting North Yorkshire town has some lovely riverside trails along the River Swale and two fine long distance trails to try
- River Swale Richmond - A short riverside walk from Richmond along the River Swale to the National Trust owned Hudswell Woods
- Richmond Way - Travel from Lancaster Castle to Richmond Castle on this lovely walk through Lancashire and Yorkshire
- Castle Bolton - Visit the wonderful grounds of the 14th century Bolton Castle before exploring the beautiful countryside surrounding the village
- Middleham - This circular walk takes you around the countryside surrounding the North Yorkshire village of Middleham
- Bedale - Enjoy a walk along the pretty Bedale Beck on this easy walk in North Yorkshire
- Thorp Perrow Arboretum - Explore 100 acres of woodland, gardens and lakes in this beautiful arboretum near Bedale in North Yorkshire
- Barningham Trail - Travel through the beautiful Yorkshire Dales National Park on this circular walk around the pretty village of Barningham in County Durham
- Aysgarth Falls - Enjoy a woodland walk to the spectacular Aysgarth Falls in the Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Reeth - Explore beautiful Swaledale on this riverside circular walk in Reeth
- Easby Abbey - Visit the fascinating ruins of the 12th century Easby Abbey and enjoy a stroll along the River Swale on this easy walk in Richmondshire
- Hudswell Woods - This circular walk takes you from Richmond to the National Trust's Hudswell Woods, just to the west of the town
- Richmond to Marske Circular Walk - Enjoy a circular walk from Richmond to the pretty village of Marske, a few miles west of the town
- Arkengarthdale - This walk explores lovely Arkengarthdale, the northernmost of the Yorkshire Dales
Back in the village head to the White Swan for some rest and refreshment. Inside there's a cosy bar area and a restaurant. Outside there's a nice courtyard garden, with fig tree and kiwi vines. You can find them on the High Street at postcode DL10 5JG.
The country and woodland trails on the route make for a fine dog walk. The White Swan mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
For more walking ideas in the area see the Yorkshire Dales Walks page.