Sudbury Water Meadows
This circular walk takes you around the delightful Water Meadows in the Suffolk town of Sudbury. There's some delightful scenery with riverside trails and wild flowers, birds and mammals to look out for on the way.
The area has strong connections with the painter Thomas Gainsborough who was born in the town. It forms part of the Gainsborough trail which takes you on a tour of the town, visiting sights connected with the artist.
The walk starts from Sudbury Train station and picks up the Valley Trail to take you west to the River Stour and Ballingdon Bridge. The path loops round to the north, crossing the water meadows to Brundon Mill. Here you'll find a row of pretty mill cottages, a weir and numerous swans.
After enjoying the picturesque mill the trail turns south to Brundon Lane and King's Marsh, before returning to the train station.
There's also waymarked trails to take you through the ancient market town. You can visit the market square where you can see the Thomas Gainsborough statue. His birthplace is now open to the public and has been converted to a museum and art gallery.
There's also three medieval churches, Victorian terrace houses, Georgian manor houses and some fine medieval timber framed Halls to see too.
Two fine long distance trails pass the town. You could pick up the Stour Valley Path or the St Edmund Way to extend your walking in the area. If you follow the trails north they'll take you up to Melford Hall and Kentwell Hall which are well worth a visit.
PostcodeCO10 1JT - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Sudbury Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Sudbury Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Sudbury OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Sudbury Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Sudbury
- Stour Valley Path - Follow the River Stour from Newmarket to Cattawade on this delightful walk through East Anglia
- St Edmund Way - A walk through Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk from Manningtree to Brandon
- Lavenham - This pretty Suffolk village has lots of good options for walkers wishing to explore the area
- Melford Hall - Enjoy a walk around the beautiful grounds of Melford Hall in Suffolk
- Kentwell Hall Long Melford - This circular walk explores the beautiful grounds of this 16th century stately home in Long Melford, Suffolk
- Clare Castle Country Park - This pretty country park is situated on the River Stour in the Suffolk town of Clare
The river trails make for a fine dog walk so you'll probably see other owners on your visit.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
For more walking ideas in the area see the Suffolk Walks page.