Sutton Cheney Wharf Walk
This circular walk from Sutton Cheney Wharf takes you along the Ashby Canal and through the surrounding woodland and countryside. It's a lovely place for a stroll with the easy towpath trails and the site of a historic battlefield to visit nearby.
You start off at the car park at Sutton Wharf next to the bridge and the canal. You then follow a section of the Leicestershire Round north west along the canal and through Ambion Wood toward Ambion Hill. Near here you can visit the Bosworth Battlefield site. This field is the site of the last significant battle of the Wars of the Roses, the civil war that took place in the 15th century. The route then bends round to the east to visit Sutton Cheney village.
From the village you follow footpaths south to Harper's Hill before heading west to Stapleton Lane. Near here you can then rejoin the canal and follow it north back to the car park.
PostcodeCV13 0AL - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Sutton Cheney Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Sutton Cheney Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Sutton Cheney OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Sutton Cheney Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Sutton Cheney
- Ashby Canal - Follow the Ashby-de-la-Zouch Canal from Bedworth in Warwickshire, to the little village of Snareston in Leicestershire
- Leicestershire Round - Explore the countryside, villages, canals, rivers and reservoirs of Leicestershire on this interesting and varied circular walk
- Market Bosworth Country Park - This 85 acre country park in Leicestershire contains a lake, a planted arboretum with exotic species, a wildflower meadow and a community woodland
- Bosworth Battlefield Country Park - Walk the Battlefield Trail with panoramic views over the Leicestershire countryside in this country park in Market Bosworth
- Nuneaton Rotary Walk - This super circular walk was devised by the Nuneaton Rotary Club and takes you on a tour of the countryside, parks and canals around Nuneaton
- Croft Hill and Quarry Walk - This walk visits the Croft Hill viewpoint and the old Croft Quarry near Leicester
At the canal there's the Sutton Wharf cafe. They serve tasty lunches and delicious cakes which you can enjoy in the outdoor seating area next to the water.
In the village there's Hercules Inn, a 17th century country coaching inn that serves high quality food. Outside there's the Woodshed serving pizzas from an authentic wood fired oven throughout the summer. You can find them on the Main Street at postcode CV13 0AG.
The country and canalside trails make for a pleasant dog walk. The wharf cafe and the Hercules inn mentioned above are also dog friendly
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Head north along the Leicestershire Round and you can visit Market Bosworth Country Park. Here you'll find contains a lake, a planted arboretum with exotic species, a wildflower meadow and a community woodland.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Leicestershire Walks page.