Taunton Walks - Near and Around
Taunton is the county town of Somerset and a lovely place to explore on foot.
There's an anicent castle, three picturesque public parks, two canals, riverside footpaths, several local woodland areas, nature reserves and lots of great walking options in the nearby Blackdown Hills AONB.
This circular waterside walk takes you along the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal to the neighbouring village of Creech St Michael before returning along the River Tone. The easy walk runs for a distance of just under 7 miles, passing Bathpool and some interesting old bridges on the way.
You can extend the walk by heading west from the town along the Grand Western Canal. This runs from Taunton to Tiverton in Devon.
For more detail on the Landmarks, Nature Reserves and History of the town please see the informative wikipedia page.
PostcodeTA1 1JS - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Please click here for more information
Taunton Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Taunton Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Taunton OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Taunton Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Taunton
- Bridgwater and Taunton Canal - Follow the towpath of the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal on this easy walk or cycle in Somerset
- Durleigh Reservoir - This circular walk takes you around Durleigh Reservoir in Bridgwater, Somerset.
The walk starts in the small village of Durleigh, located on the western fringes of the town of Bridgwater
- Grand Western Canal - This splendid waterside walk takes you from Tiverton in Devon to Taunton in Somerset.
The first section of the walk takes you from Tiverton to Greenham along the towpath through the Grand Western Canal Country Park
- North Petherton - This Somerset based town sits in a nice position on the edge of the Quantocks
- Wiveliscombe - This historic market town is located near Taunton in the county of Somerset
- Cothelstone Hill - Enjoy heathland, woodland and wonderful views on this circular walk in the Quantocks
- Fyne Court - Explore the gardens and 65 acre wider estate on this short walk in the Quantock Hills
- Staple Fitzpaine Herepath - This is a shared cycle and walking bridleway which forms a loop around Staple Fitzpaine in the beautiful Blackdown Hills AONB
- Castle Neroche - This circular walk visits the site of a Norman motte-and-bailey castle in the Blackdown Hills
- West Deane Way - This wonderful circular walk takes you through the beautiful Somerset countryside including the Quantocks.
The path starts and ends in Taunton on the River Tone and heads north west towards West Bagborough
- Trull Waterfall - This walk visits the picturesque Trull Waterfall near Taunton in Somerset
- Hestercombe House - Explore the beautiful gardens surrounding this historic country house on the edge of the Quantock Hills
- Thurlbear Wood - This walk visits Thurlbear Wood nature reserve near Taunton in Somerset.
The Ring of Bells is a good choice for some post walk refreshments. They serve good quality food and have a large sunny garden for summer days. You can find them at 16-17 St James Street with postcode TA1 1JS for your sat navs.
The canal and river paths make for a fine dog walk. The Ring of Bells mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Just to the south of the town there's something of a hidden gem at the Trull Waterfall. The picturesque spot is located just east of Trull village and has a viewing bridge and nice trails along the Sherford Brook.
Just to the north is the historic Hestercombe House where you can explore the beautiful gardens of the old country house.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Somerset Walks page.