West and East Witton Walk
This circular walk takes you between the villages of West and East Witton in North Yorkshire. On the way there's some lovely Wensleydale scenery and visits to Coverham Abbey and Jervaulx Abbey. There's also some nice waterside sections along the River Cover and River Ure to enjoy.
The walk starts in West Witton and follows footpaths south east to Capple Bank and Spigot Lodge. You then turn south to Tupgill Park before coming to the remains of Coverham Abbey. The 12th century abbey ruins are a Scheduled Ancient Monument and a Grade I listed building.
You then head east along the River Cover, the River Ure and the long distance Six Dales Trail to visit Jervaulx Abbey. The 12th century ruined abbey is surrounded by 126 acres of attractive parkland with wildflowers, grazing sheep, a pretty pond and fine views of the surrounding North Yorkshire countryside. There's also a lovely tea rooms to stop at for refreshment.
The route then retraces its steps before turning south to visit East Witton where there's a fine 18th century stone pub to visit.
After exploring the village you follow country lanes west to Braithwaite Hall. This 17th-century manor house in Coverdale is Grade II listed and run by the National Trust. From here you continue to Cherry Hill and Hanghow Pastures. You then pass Agllethorpe and Middleham High Moor before turning north to return to West Witton.
West and East Witton Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
West and East Witton Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
West and East Witton OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
West and East Witton Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near West and East Witton
- Jervaulx Abbey - This walk explores the photogenic ruins of the historic Jervaulx Abbey in North Yorkshire.
- Leyburn - The market town of Leyburn has some lovely trails to follow through beautiful Wensleydale in North Yorkshire.
This circular walk from the town visits the pretty little village of Wensley with a riverside section along the River Ure
- Bedale - Enjoy a walk along the pretty Bedale Beck on this easy walk in North Yorkshire
- Masham - A circular walk exploring the countryside and rivers around the small town of Masham in North Yorkshire
- Leighton Reservoir - This circular walk visits Leighton and Roundhill Reservoirs before climbing into the surrounding moors for great views back down to the water
- Six Dales Trail - This stunning walk passes through six of the beautiful Yorkshire Dales - Wharfedale, Washburndale, Nidderdale, Colsterdale, Coverdale, and Wensleydale
- Wensleydale - This walk takes you from the village of Wensley, along the River Ure to Redmire Force Waterfall and the Aysgarth Falls
- Harmby Waterfall Walk - This short walk explores the pretty waterfall at Harmby in the Lower Wensleydale area of the Yorkshire Dales
- Leyburn Shawl Walk - This circular walk explores the Leyburn Shawl limestone escarpment in Wensleydale
- Middleham - This circular walk takes you around the countryside surrounding the North Yorkshire village of Middleham
The Blue Lion in East Witton is a good choice for refreshment. The 18th-century ivy-covered stone pub serves good quality food and can be found at the Main Road, East Witton, DL8 4SN.
The country and woodland trails on the route make for a fine dog walk. The Blue Lion mentioned above is also dog friendly.