This lovely market town near Leeds is well worth a visit for its architecture and fascinating history. It's also a great place for walkers with easy access to the beautiful Wharfedale and some delighful parks nearby too.
This walk takes you along the Ebor Way long distance trail to the splendid Harewood House. The waymarked trail follows the River Wharfe with great views over the Wharfedale countryside. It runs for about 10 miles with a few moderate climbs along the way.
Start the walk on Wetherby Bridge in the town centre and cross to the southern side of the water. The route heads south west along the river towards Collingham before turning west to Lime Kiln Wood and Woodhall Bridge. You continue to Netherby where you turn south toward Harewood House. The park is a great place for walking with miles of footpaths taking you to woodland, a deer park, lakes and a walled garden. After exploring the park you can catch a bus back to Wetherby most days.
The Leeds Country Way long distance walk passes the park. If you'd like to continue your walking in the area you could follow this path south west to Eccup Reservoir. The reservoir has nice waterside paths and is a great place for spotting Red Kites and other birds.
To continue your walking from Wetherby try the Wetherby to Spofforth Castle Walk along the old Wetherby Railway Line. It's a nice easy stroll finishing at the historic ruins of Spofforth Castle.
Just to the south of the town you will find Hetchell Woods. The nature reserve has peaceful woodland trails, pretty streams and lots of wildlife to look out for. The site also includes the imposing rocky outcrop of Hetchell Crags and the fascinating Roman earthworks at Pompocali.
Just to the north you can pick up the excellent Knaresborough Round which explores the countryside around Knaresborough.
Wetherby Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Wetherby Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Wetherby OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Wetherby Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Wetherby
- Ebor Way - Follow the Ebor Way from Helmsley to Ilkley on this walk through Yorkshire
- Harewood House - Explore the 100 acres of beautiful landscaped gardens surrounding this 18th century country house in Leeds
- Leeds Country Way - A super circular walk through the countryside surrounding this major Yorkshire city
- Eccup Reservoir - Enjoy an easy, waterside walk around this lovely reservoir near Leeds.
The walk begins in the car park on Stair Foot lane in Adel Woods and follows the Dales Way past Sand Moor golf course to the reservoir
- Wetherby to Spofforth Castle - Follow the Wetherby Railway Path from Wetherby to Spofforth on this easy walk or cycle in Yorkshire
- Hetchell Woods - This lovely circular walk visits the Hetchell Woods Nature Reserve near Leeds in West Yorkshire
- Knaresborough Round - This 20 mile circular walk takes you on a tour of the countryside, lakes, rivers, woodland and villages surrounding the historic Yorkshire town of Knaresborough