Woodhouse Eaves Walks
This attractive Leicestershire village has several local country parks and two nearby reservoirs for walkers to explore.
This circular walk from the village visits some of the walking highlights of the area including Swithland Reservoir, Swithland Woods, Cropston Reservoir and Bradgate Country Park.
The walk starts in the village where you can pick up the Leicestershire Round and follow the waymarked footpath east to visit Swithland Reservoir. The expansive reservoir is a pleasant place for a stroll with lots of birdlife to look out for on the water.
The route then heads south to visit Swithland Wood. There's a network of woodland trails here with pretty streams and mountain bike paths as well. Just south of the woods you'll come to Cropston Reservoir where you can enjoy a waterside stroll along the northern end of the water. Here you'll also find the lovely Bradgate Park where there's 830 acres of deer park to explore. You can follow the Leicestershire Round north through the park to the viewpoint at Old John Tower before continuing past Maplewell Farm to return to the village.
You can extend the walk by heading a short distance north east of the village to visit Beacon Hill Country Park.
PostcodeLE12 8SS - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Woodhouse Eaves Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Woodhouse Eaves Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Woodhouse Eaves OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Woodhouse Eaves Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Woodhouse Eaves
- Swithland Reservoir - This pretty reservoir is located just to the south east of Loughborough
- Cropston Reservoir - Enjoy a waterside walk along this pretty reservoir in the Charnwood Forest area of Leicestershire
- Bradgate Country Park - Bradgate is a very large, 830 acre park located just outside the city of Leicester
- Beacon Hill Country Park - Explore 335 acres of mixed woodland, grassland, wildflower meadows and farmland on this country park walk or cycle near Loughborough
- Leicestershire Round - Explore the countryside, villages, canals, rivers and reservoirs of Leicestershire on this interesting and varied circular walk
- Charnwood Forest - This long circular walk explores the parks, woodland, hills, nature reserves and countryside in the attractive Charnwood Forest area of Leicestershire
- Loughborough Canal Walk - A waterside walk from Loughborough to Leicester along a section of the Grand Union Canal and the River Soar
- Watermead Country Park - This beautiful country park contains over 12 lakes and ponds, wildflower meadows, woodland, grassland and reedbeds set in 350 acres of parkland
- Shepshed - This interesting town is located near Loughborough in the Charnwood area of Leicestershire.
- Blackbrook Reservoir - This short walk visits Blackbrook Reservoir near Coalville in Leicestershire
- Mount St Bernard Abbey - Visit this Cistercian monastery near Coalville on this short walk
- Barrow upon Soar - This village in Leicestershire has some nice river and canal walks to try
- Grace Dieu Priory - This historic priory is located close to Coalville in North West Leicestershire.
Back in the village The Wheatsheaf is a good choice for some post walk refreshment. The 18th century inn serves fine food which you can enjoy in the cosy interior or outside in the extensive courtyard garden. You can find them at Brand Hill with postcode LE12 8SS.
The country and woodland trails make for a fine dog walk. The Wheatsheaf mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
On the western side of the village there's Broombriggs Farm & Windmill Hill Country Park to visit. There's some more nice trails here with dry stone walls, hedgerows, fences and woodlands to explore.
Just to the south of Bradgate Park you'll find the secluded Groby Pool. The small lake is a good place for wildlife watching and also includes some adjacent bluebell woods. The woodland trust's Martinshaw Wood is located about half a mile south west from here too. It's another peaceful local place for bird watching and easy trails.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Leicestershire Walks page.